Evening ISS Passes this week in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Just saw the firsat of two ISS passes tonight, only 15 minutes after sunset and only 20 degrees above the NNE horizon from here in NJ. There's another interesting one just before 9 PM tonight from here where it will be rising from the NNW, passing over the moon, traveling to due west at 37 degrees when it goes into eclipse. Always interesting to watch the color changes as it goes into the earth's shadow.

It's the first time in a while I've seen the ISS with only 3 on board.

I have several more passes during the next 5 days, so there probably are some across much of the US as well.

To find out, go to

http://heavens-above.com

BE SURE TO SELECT YOUR LOCATION

then click on the ISS for the next 10 days link.

A

aaron38

I saw the Wed and Thurs passes as well, just by accident as I was watching the crescent moon and Venus. Both nights I just happened to be looking up at Mars as it went overhead, and man is it bright.

It was definitely negative magnitude at the brightest, because it was brighter than Mars. About the same color too. I think I was getting the full reflection of the solar arrays at one point before it faded out.

K

kg

Looks like it will be passing close to mars right over my house at about 7:50 tonight!

K

kg

Here is my location. According to the chart on the visable pass details page the ISS will be passing very close to mars at about 19:51:30 I hope the sky stays clear for the next 50 minutes or so!

Pass Details
Date: Friday, 19 March, 2010
Satellite: ISS
Observer's Location: Shutesbury, MA( 42.4523°N, 72.4018°W)
Local Time: Eastern Daylight Time (GMT - 4:00)
Orbit: 341 x 352 km, 51.6° (Epoch 19 Mar)

M

MeteorWayne

Cool. The ground track goes right across Massachusetts, so wherever you are it should be very near overhad. The base mag there is aboit -3.5 and any reflections could produce a brighter flare!

K

kg

Truly amazing!!
I dragged about eight people (children and adults) out from a dinner party to see. They were all delighted!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.