Excalibur Almaz announced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Link....

Postcard003.jpg

Excalibur Almaz to Pioneer Private Orbital Manned Space Flight In cooperation with NPOM of Russia

Moscow, 18 August 2009, -- Excalibur Almaz Limited (EA), an international space exploration company, today announced plans to open up a new era of private orbital space flight for commercial customers, using updated elements of the "Almaz" space system originally developed by JSC MIC NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia.

Realization of EA's project with technical assistance from NPOM will allow regular access to and from space. This project joins Russian space technology expertise with an international private enterprise to create a commercial offering of orbital spaceflight services for global customers.

EA plans to offer week-long orbital space flights beginning as early as 2013 - taking a big leap beyond the sub-orbital flight market targeted by most other private space companies. In addition to NPOM, other leading aerospace firms in the U.S., Europe and Japan will provide technical support for EA's space flight operations

The original Almaz space system technology, comprising reusable reentry vehicle (RRV) and space station, was successfully tested in flight by NPOM. Working with NPOM and its international contractors, EA is now updating the spacecraft to conduct crew and cargo space missions for private individuals, corporations, academic institutions and national governments.
>
EA's spacecraft will consist of two parts: an RRV and an expendable service module to provide crewmembers with room to comfortably operate during spaceflight. EA will update the Almaz RRVs with flight-proven technologies where appropriate, while retaining tested legacy systems to ensure safety and economy of operation. A critical feature of the RRVs is their reusability, which will reduce logistical, overhead and program costs for commercial access to space.
>
In addition to NPOM, leading aerospace firms contracting with EA include Space Flight Operations (SFO), a subsidiary of United Space Alliance, of the U.S.; Paragon Space Development Corporation of the U.S.; Qwaltec of the U.S.; EADS Astrium Space Transportation of Europe; and Japan Manned Space Systems (JAMSS) of Japan. EA has also formed strategic alliances with academic institutions including Rice University of the U.S and the International Space University of France, and is an Industry Forum member of the National Space Biomedical Research Institute of the U.S.
>

L

Lemurion

I'm really hoping this one makes it. Having flight-tested hardware puts them way ahead.

D

docm

I do too. As with most things when businesses start one-upping each other for promotional purposes it can produce interesting services. It worked that way in ages past as exploration was done to find new materials and markets. In this case and given time that could mean moving out of LEO before government can do it.

C

CalliArcale

This is very cool. I hope some of the engineers who helped flight-test that stuff thirty years ago can see this now, and watch their babies finally take flight for the real deal -- with crew on board!

D

docm

I think we can assume that the rapid-fire cannon on the Almaz will be removed ;)

B

Boris_Badenov

docm":12q72cws said:
I think we can assume that the rapid-fire cannon on the Almaz will be removed ;)
That could be great fun to play with though. :mrgreen:

C

CalliArcale

docm":1algrsjd said:

:D

Alas, I'm sure it was never installed in these unflown hulls.

D

drwayne

I believe that some of the Gemini off-shoot designs also had hatches in the heat shield area.

D

docm

The Gemini B intended for use with the Manned Orbiting Laboratory had a hatch through its heat shield for entry into the lab and habitat, and I think some Russian designs also included one.

1661101466_3aa3549b28.jpg

1660239353_33cd620296.jpg

G

gunsandrockets

www.astronautix.com has a lot of info on the original Soviet spacecraft which was called the TKS. The original purpose of the TKS was to serve as a shuttle to an orbital space station, ferrying crew and cargo. The layout of the TKS was somewhat similar to the USAF Gemini-B/MOL program.

Some have taken note of the hatch in the heat-shield of the crew capsule. This really isn't dangerous. I believe the Soviets did test fly the capsule successfully (unmanned). Then there is the example of the Gemini-B which also had a heat-shield hatch and flown successfully. And keep in mind the Space Shuttle which has landing gear doors piercing it's heat-shield; it's not a big deal.

The layout of the TKS is interesting and I think provides advantages compared to other spacecraft. The retro-rockets are in the nose of the crew capsule instead of housed in a separate retro-module like the Gemini, or a separate service module like the Apollo or Soyuz. The TKS has a tower type launch escape system, the main living quarters/cargo compartment is behind the crew capsule, and the orbital docking system is mounted at the very rear of the TKS.

Unlike the Apollo or Soyuz, the TKS does not have a bulky launch shroud over the capsule. Unlike the Gemini-B the TKS does not have a long crew tunnel to the living quarters. Because the retro-rockets are built into the capsule, during re-entry there is no problem with a stuck service module hanging onto the capsule after the retro burn (as has happened with Soyuz) or fear that a service module or retro-module re-entering on a path that crosses the capsule.

The new Excalibur Almaz system appears to use the same capsule as the TKS, but a different rear section. The artwork is also intriguing since one picture shows the Excalibur Almaz (with a half-sized service module) that seems to be on a lunar fly-by mission. Interesting.

The way this new commercial service is advertised I can see reason for redesign of some TKS elements. They are offering a stand alone service, so there is no need for the mass and complication of an orbital docking system. They would not need to carry over 4,500 kg of cargo either as envisioned by the original TKS system. I think they are shooting for an overall spacecraft mass of 8,000 kg, similar to the Soyuz TMA, which would be much less than the 17,000 kg gross mass of the original TKS.

S

shuttle_guy

This vehicle could launch on a Falcon 9 from The Kennedy Space Center. The first Falcon 9 may launch before the end of the year.

E

EarthlingX

This TKS evolution is simply awesome :)
I wonder if they would sell Buran too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts