Excersise in micro gravity.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

<p>It seems to me that to move an object of a certain mass, you need a certain force.&nbsp; And to move an object of greater mass, you need a greater force.</p><p>I wonder if NASA has tried to apply this to Astronaut excersise and bone loss.&nbsp; In theory if you strap on weights to wrists and ankles and torso of an astronaut he/her should encounter more resistance to their motion and thus have to work harder to move.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

N

nimbus

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It seems to me that to move an object of a certain mass, you need a certain force.&nbsp; And to move an object of greater mass, you need a greater force.I wonder if NASA has tried to apply this to Astronaut excersise and bone loss.&nbsp; In theory if you strap on weights to wrists and ankles and torso of an astronaut he/her should encounter more resistance to their motion and thus have to work harder to move.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by holmec</DIV>That'd probably be effective along the&nbsp;spatial lines of effort made by exercise, but what about the rest of the biological volume? &nbsp;It would still not be tugged at by gravity.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That'd probably be effective along the&nbsp;spatial lines of effort made by exercise, but what about the rest of the biological volume? &nbsp;It would still not be tugged at by gravity. <br /> Posted by nimbus</DIV></p><p>That's true.&nbsp; I guess the current treadmill setup provides the load on the legs as if the body was experiencing gravity, this idea does not provide that.</p><p>Perhaps this would be an additional technique.&nbsp; Astronauts could wear the weights and do excersises like kicks and punches like in martial arts.</p><p>Or it could be a low cost aleternative way for commercial astronauts to excersise without large complex excersise devises.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>What got me thinking this way is boyancy.&nbsp; That is since boyancy in water is used to simulate movement in microgravity, I thought that water itself provides resistance to movement, and how can an astornaut experience such resistance in microgravity.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

N

nimbus

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That's true.&nbsp; I guess the current treadmill setup provides the load on the legs as if the body was experiencing gravity, this idea does not provide that.Perhaps this would be an additional technique.&nbsp; Astronauts could wear the weights and do excersises like kicks and punches like in martial arts.Or it could be a low cost aleternative way for commercial astronauts to excersise without large complex excersise devises.&nbsp;What got me thinking this way is boyancy.&nbsp; That is since boyancy in water is used to simulate movement in microgravity, I thought that water itself provides resistance to movement, and how can an astornaut experience such resistance in microgravity.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by holmec</DIV><br />I can't think of any solution that doesn't involve a centrifuge. &nbsp;The best one of those I thought of is having one person running the giant hamster wheel on his own, saving power (or even making some) and giving the second person the fake gravity, either to sit at a desk and work on, or run with. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.