exo-LEO Dragon? Maybe......

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

Right in the article he says "extending life beyond Earth is my overarching goal," & he's said he wants to be on Mars by 2025 (IIRC). So this really doesn't surprise me.
I'd really like to see a power point of his long term goals.

V

Valcan

"I'd really like to see a power point of his long term goals."

His long term goals? World domination. /que evil laugh and dramatic music.

I figured they'd try using this a when i heard about dragon. Dont see why they dont just build a ship that takes cargo from LEO to the moon and back just use dragon to get from the earth to the ship, ship to the moon, Dragon to moon surface/base. and back.

V

vattas

Valcan":3p9zjspy said:
Dragon to moon surface/base. and back.
Dragon is not the kind of vehicle to perform lunar landing/liftoff.

D

docm

True, but I too would love to see their internal road-map.

To that end let's not forget they offered a discounted launcher for the Lunar X-Prize.

V

vattas

To add to my post above, Dragon certainly could play role in lunar mission architecture, especially if it is equipped with heatshield capable withstanding reentry from lunar return trajectory.

D

docm

vattas":fs0369e7 said:
To add to my post above, Dragon certainly could play role in lunar mission architecture, especially if it is equipped with heatshield capable withstanding reentry from lunar return trajectory.
Dragon and their 2nd stage use their own version of PICA, PICA-X, developed with the help of NASA and tested in the arc-jet facility at Ames. The original PICA used on the Stardust mission re-entered at 28,900 mph.

V

vattas

docm":1ba83a26 said:
Dragon and their 2nd stage use their own version of PICA, PICA-X, developed with the help of NASA and tested in the arc-jet facility at Ames. The original PICA used on the Stardust mission re-entered at 28,900 mph.
Usage of PICA for heatshield doesn't necessary mean that it can survive "lunar" reentry. I think that things like thickness of it or ability of supporting structure to withstand higher G's also matter, right?

BTW, I don't remember reading that they will use PICA for second stage. Will the 2nd stage for first F9 flight also be with heatshield?

D

docm

Structure and thickness permitting of course. Ever see the bulkheads between the pressure hull and the heat shield mounts? Very strong looking and there are ~12 of them.

No one knows if the first flights 2nd stage will have the heat shield or not. There is an argument to be made that using a full TPS on both it and Dragon gives them a chance, using the 2nd stages Draco's to maneuver, to align them both for an un-announced re-entry test since they have to dispose of both anyhow. 'chutes would be sauce for the goose.

If they work and both re-enter successfully then they get a PR plus, tons of data and the congressional commercial space critics have one less 'unknown' to talk about. That and Elon can sit in future hearings with a ****eating grin. If not then no big deal.

dragonbase.jpg

dragonbase2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts