expanding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ben89

hi Benny here with another questionthat ive been thinkin about while layin on the roof stargazin/ i"ll try 2 clean it up cuz i could tell some poeple were not happy by the way i write<br /><br />my question: i read that if u look at the stars you look back in time ok. how bout if other objects like planets and stuff move away from us r they moving forwrd in time? so my question: if i look at objects in the sky am i lookin at the future too/

H

harmonicaman

There is no looking into the future!<br /><br />Since it always takes time for light to travel from point to point, you can accurately say that everything you see is in the past. For example; the light you see from the Sun has taken eight minutes to reach the Earth -- you see the Sun as it actually was eight minutes ago! The light from the stars nearest to the Solar System is about four years old and you observe stars on the other side of our Milky Way galaxy as they were about 100,000 years ago.<br /><br />Even looking at the end of your nose is seeing it as it was a few nanoseconds ago.<br /><br />

B

ben89

thank u 2 harmonicaman. <br /><br />think i understand/ but if the light comin from the suns PAST light then can i say the ligth on the ground (earth) is PRESENT light. how bout light that passed by and on to jupeter? if i could see that lite isnt that lite FUTUre lite?

N

newtonian

Ben89 - Well that light was future light before it went on to Jupiter - but you would have to wait until it reached Jupiter to see it.<br /><br />In other words, today is the day after yesterday. <br /><br />Or: tomorrow becomes today before it becomes yesterday.<br /><br />Did I get that right?<br /><br />Anyway, time's arrow is one way.<br /><br />It involves cause and effect or causality.

B

ben89

thank u 2 poster Newtonain tho i dont get the tomorrow today yesterday explaination i dont understand.<br /><br />but if i had the capability 2 see the light travelin to jupeter then i"m lookin into the future is that corect?

H

harmonicaman

Because of the laws of physics and especially Einstein's Theory of Relativity, there is no point in the universe that can observe the future events of another point.<br /><br />The universe is space and time expanding within a "Singularity"; therefore, it is governed by the rules of a singularity. <br /><br />Every point in the universe shares the same perspective as every other point. This means -- every point in the universe sees itself as the oldest and most central spot in the whole universe.<br /><br />Even light itself has a perspective; it is created and destroyed in the same instant, from its perspective; but by our perspective some photons appear to be billions of years old!<br /><br />The Theory of Relativity has been tested countless times and so far there is no known way for one point in the universe to have a perspective of being more future than any other point.

B

ben89

to respunder crazyeddi but what if we have a supertelescope cant u see the future light/

B

ben89

2 poster hatmonicaman thank u i"m not sayin i"m center or nothin but if the light is movin on then it must be 2 the future cuz time moves in that direction am i worng?

H

harmonicaman

From the perspective of light itself: It does not experience the passage of time, it is created and then reaches its destination and is annihilated in the same instance, from its point of view.<br /><br />From the perspective of the point in space which sees our light: It is viewing us in the past, when the light left us!<br /><br />No point in the universe can have a perspective of viewing the future of any other point.<br /><br />E=mc<sup>2</sup> <br />

B

ben89

poster harmonicaman your last explaination made the most sence 2 me/ sometimes it takes me awhile 2 get it but i do get it eventially; not all but some<br /><br />i tell meself think past, think past, its all in the past<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.