Expansion of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nopinky

First, I know I am way over simplifying this...<br />A thought occured to me rather suddenly and out of the blue that the expansion of the universe is like pushing your hand into a mound of sand. <br />Your hand being a mass of some gravity and the sand being space itself. So that matter falling into gravity is pushing space itself out of the way, driving the expansion. <br /><br />Just a thought, and I didnt know where else to bounce this off people that would have a clue.

N

newtonian

Nopinky - Er, please explain what you mean by matter falling into gravity? <br /><br />The matter of our universe is falling into what where?<br /><br />The matter of our universe is expanding towards what might be an edge to our universe - is that what you think matter is falling into?<br /><br />I agree that gravity may exist beyond our visibility horizon.<br /><br />One of my personal models is that expansion is being caused by gravity of FTL matter beyond our visibility horizon pulling matter near our visibility horizon to catch up to this FTL speed which, while FTL to us, is not FTL to matter near but within our visibility horizon.<br /><br />That would be a domino effect.<br /><br />Just as distant dominoes will not effect each other, but dominoes in between these distances can transfer the effect - I suspect our section of universe is experiencing effects from FTL matter beyond our light cone by a domino effect.<br /><br />How does that compare with your idea?

N

Nopinky

The matter is not falling into anywhere. Just space itself, into infinity.<br />Picture the "space is a sheet" "gravity is a ball" image shown to illistrate gravity bending space-time.<br />Now picture what would be waves of gravity propagating outward.<br />As gravity pushes down (not really DOWN) on spacetime that spacetime has to go SOMEWHERE, hence it expands. <br />If you have a full cup of water and stick you fist in it, that water has to go somewhere, it expands outward.<br />So gravity falling into space-time drives the expansion of our own univers.

O

olivebird111

yup! its the big bang, just how can so much matter be squished into that little thing less than an atom, or you cant really see it, and now the gravity can make the whole universe into 3 different paths:<br />1. continue expand till ran out of energy and dies<br />2. stop expanding just stay still<br />3. gravity too strong it pulls back together we all get crushed into that small thingy again )=

A

alokmohan

Yes these are three possibilties.If the unverse keeps on expanding,stars will appear to us furthe and further and it is actully getting further.Then we will see less stars as they move out of visibity range.And the temperature of universe goes down,as is happening since its birth.Wefreeze to death. If the expansion stops at a point of time.all these stars galaxies will come closer.Heat increases.We see stars more and more bright.But due to immense heat,we roast.

W

wdv123

If there is enough matter in the Universe eventually gravitaional forces will stop its expansion. When this happens gravity will cause the universe to reverse its direction and begin to collapse under its own weight. This phase of the Universe's life is known as the Big Crunch. <br />Eventually all of the matter in the Universe will collapse into a super dense state and possibly even collapse into an unimaginably massive black hole. Some theorize that the Universe could collapse into the same state that it began as and then blow up in another Big Bang. In this way the Universe would last forever but would continually go through these phases of expansion and contraction, Big Bang and Big Crunch and so on... <br /><br />

S

Saiph

did I read the time stamps on those replies correctly? Nopinky replied to Newt 5 months later? <br /><br />Wow...this is a slow thread. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

*** Your post has been archived pending a response to be made as of May of 2007 *** <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

Saiph

lol! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts