Exploring the Jovian System (Jupiter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neutrino78x

Have you guys ever heard of HOPE -- Human Outer Planet Exploration? It was a mission concept NASA looked at one time. Link here (from the wikipedia entry on Callisto):

NASA PDF File (Adobe Reader) about HOPE

Basically, the idea is, you send a crewed mission, nuclear reactor powered, to Jupiter. The ship orbits Callisto. You probably send a landing party down there for exploration and to set a base that can be used by future crews and/or for colonization. Then you send a submarine probe to Europa, which you can operate in real time, because you're at Jupiter. You might send some probes into the atmosphere of Jupiter too, etc.

Callisto could be an important port in the far future, because it is the largest natural satellite of Jupiter which is not exposed to large amounts of radiation. It is a good place for a spacecraft to stop and get more propellant before heading off to the Oort Cloud or Kuiper Belt, or Pluto, because it has natural resources which might be used to make rocket fuel (water ice, primarily).

Pretty cool eh? I say they assemble it in orbit so it can have artificial gravity, like in 2001!!! Plus they should use my favorite rocket, VASIMR!!! ;) I'm not sure how much power it would take to get VASIMR to put out 9.81 N of thrust so that artificial gravity is not necessary...in the PDF they talk about using a nuclear thermal rocket, you would do one major nuclear thermal rocket burn from the L1 point and coast from there, in their scenario.

While we're at it, some have said that you could build floating cities in the atmospheres of the gas giants. I think there might be an issue with radiation, though. But I heard there are altitudes inside of Jupiter in which the sky would look blue, like Earth! :eek:

--Brian

S

SpaceXFanMobius57

Personally i would not volunteer for this mission becasue of the long distances involved and time it will take. Mars yes Jupiter no. Even with artificial gravity its just too long from Earth. But if some others want to go im all for it =D Mabe in the future we will have faster propulsion systems that will cut down travel times to that of Mars.

Speaking of long space missions im up for a Mars mission that involves a venus flyby! Two planets in one go! Too bad Venus dosen't have any moons (without killer atmosphere) to explore as well.

J

jakethesnake

I am a huge fan of VASIMR; I'm eagerly awaiting the test results on the second stage ramp-up to 200kW.

I'm a little worried at this point, they were supposed to start testing the second stage at the end of July and so far not a peep?

Hope everything is good, Go Ad Astra Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts