'Extraterrestrial crystal ball' hits the auction block at Christie's

I'm always amazed at what amounts of hard earned money people will pay at an auction for items that other people will throw out in the trash or put into antique/pawn shops. Touching the human psyche and experience renders an item a collectable. That can and does change with time and taste. What doesn't change is the cold reality behind such items. E.G.: A rock from the Moon is still a rock; it's how that rock got to Earth that's wonderous. By the same concept, a cut and polish diamond which long ago was produced in a volcano with many, many others has economic value based upon emotional customs rather than intrinsic worth.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm always amazed at what amounts of hard earned money people will pay at an auction for items that other people will throw out in the trash or put into antique/pawn shops. Touching the human psyche and experience renders an item a collectable. That can and does change with time and taste. What doesn't change is the cold reality behind such items. E.G.: A rock from the Moon is still a rock; it's how that rock got to Earth that's wonderous. By the same concept, a cut and polish diamond which long ago was produced in a volcano with many, many others has economic value based upon emotional customs rather than intrinsic worth.
...and said diamond is still a rock. :rolleyes:

Yep! A diamond still a rock, but perhaps a uniquely special rock. Since I've only had 3 cups of coffee, I'm in my semi-hyper state, so I forgot to add that in mostly western cultures, a cut and polished diamond, irrespective of caret, at least initially, is the reason that a lot of us are here to read the entries.

TRENDING THREADS