FAA publishes flight test rules for space tourism

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Well it's a step forward in getting things (in the US) off the ground.<br /><br />And the rules, as I read them, seem to be common sense, so are a good thing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Just thought I'd copy the rules here for discussion, derived from the link above.<br /><br /><font color="yellow"><br /> - A single experimental permit will cover multiple vehicles of a particular design and allow an unlimited number of launches<br /><br /> - The FAA will identify the type of design changes that may be made without invalidating the permit. <br /><br /> - The one-year permit is renewable following an FAA review. <br /><br /> - None of the test flights covered by an experimental permit can carry passengers for compensation or for hire. <br /><br /> - The new rules establish criteria for the physical area in which a vehicle with an experimental permit can operate. The area, among other things, must be large enough to contain planned trajectories. It cannot contain or be adjacent to a densely populated area.<br /><br /> - As part of the application for a permit, a vehicle developer will need to provide a program description, a flight test plan, and operational safety documentation, including a hazard analysis and a plan for response to a mishap. <br /><br />- The FAA has committed itself to ensuring its permit determinations are within 120 days compared to 180 days for an operating license.<br /><br /></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

P

PistolPete

Good stuff.<br /><br />Has the FAA come up with rules concerning paying passengers? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts