***Firefly Series Airs Again on SciFi***

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serak_the_preparer

<i>[Edit: Thread title changed yet again as SciFi airs the series a second time as a prelude to the release of the DVD of the movie December 20th.]<br /><br />[Edit: Original thread title 'Firefly Pilot airing on SciFi Channel Right NOW!' changed for opening day of the movie; material added.]</i><br /><br />***We interrupt this post for a special announcement:***<br /><br />The movie Serenity is flying high on RottenTomatoes - Serenity (2005), garnering a 77% favorable rating from RT's critics. Other reviews, easily found on Google News, are saying the same. INT: Joss Whedon by Thomas Leupp (JoBlo.com) comes right up on Google's News front-page. Now search 'Serenity' under Google News and you'll get a lot of what's being said about the movie.<br /><br />Basically, it's all good stuff that's being said. The critics have been won over, high and low. Now it's the audience's turn. Advertising for the movie has not been very heavy, but <i>the movie Serenity opens in theaters <b>today</b></i>! If you're a science fiction fan, I strongly urge you to go out and see the movie, which - if it does well enough - will be followed by a sequel.<br /><br />***End of announcement***<br /><br />Normally, I would post this information on the Science Fiction forum - and, actually, that's what I have done. For more information about the amazing Firefly science fiction series, you can try New Firefly movie "Serenity" trailer!, where the

S

serak_the_preparer

Maybe some of you out there caught the Firefly pilot on the SciFi Channel last night?<br /><br />The SciFi Channel is airing the entire Firefly series (only 14 episodes, or 15 if the two-part pilot is counted as two). This series is being shown again as a run-up to the release of the movie based on the series, which will be in theaters on September 30th.<br /><br />I am (obviously) a big fan of <i>Firefly</i>. I'm hoping it brings the SciFi Channel some more viewers. If it does, then this may help the movie. If the movie, <i>Serenity</i>, does well, there may be more movies.<br /><br />It was a great television show (I personally rate it above Star Trek, for instance). It could also be a great series of movies.<br /><br />So, people, if you have nothing scheduled between 7 and 8 pm EST on Friday nights, I recommend giving the SciFi Channel a try.

S

serak_the_preparer

Good people, it's Friday again. So, again, a friendly reminder:<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, AUG. 5</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"The Train Job"</font><br /><br /><i>Mal is hired to pull off a train heist, but the loot turns out to be medicine badly needed by suffering colonists.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C

W

wmdragon

asplode? sounds obscene and messy <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Cramic, I like your enthusiasm!<br /><br />If no explosions have taken place, then it's time to tune in: 'The Train Job' begins on the SciFi Channel right about...NOW!

R

rhodan

That trailer looks really cool. I'm not familiar with the series thouggh.

F

flynn

I'll bump this thread instead of the ones in Sci-Fi to say nice interviews Serak.<br /><br />Thanks for posting. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Flynn, you're welcome!<br /><br />And, by the way...<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, AUG. 12</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Bushwacked"</font><br /><br /><i>The crew's rescue of the survivor of a Reaver attack leads to a confrontation with an Alliance commander.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C

S

serak_the_preparer

Looking over my calendar I see it is Friday again. It's good I check these things, since now I'm reminded to post that another Firefly episode airs this evening on the SciFi Channel.<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, AUG. 12</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Shindig"</font><br /><br /><i>Seeking work at a party, Mal upsets a wealthy client of Inara and ends up in a swordfight -- but he doesn't know how to use a sword.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C

S

serak_the_preparer

CrazyEddie,<br /><br />A synopsis of last week's episode? Or of the backstory behind the series in general?<br /><br />For the first, I can recommend SCIFI.COM | Firefly - "Bushwacked". For the second, a quick sketch of what's going on in the Firefly series opens the New Firefly movie "Serenity" trailer! thread. But here's a slightly more detailed version:<br /><br />Five hundred years from now, Earth's environment is in poor shape and her resources sadly depleted. Civilization, meanwhile, has gotten a new start in an alien solar system (perhaps Alpha Centauri?), where a very large number of worlds (few of them orbiting in anything resembling an ecliptic) have been altered in order to become suitable for human habitation. The Core planets are run by the Alliance, which, in a long and bloody conflict, has recently managed to extend its control to include essentially all of the worlds in the system. Six years after the war's conclusion, in which the Independents lost, a former 'browncoat' (Independent) officer, Malcolm Reynolds, has purchased a battered but spaceworthy Firefly-class vessel which he has named <i>Serenity</i>, in honor of the last battle of the interplanetary civil war in which his side was defeated. His ambition is simple enough: Smuggle enough to live on, while thumbing his nose at the authority of the Alliance, which is far from absolute on the frontier worlds at the edge of the system. To this end, he has assembled a crew. That crew includes a mercenary, a witty and mild-mannered ace pilot, a former comrade-in-arms, a courtesan of the highest caliber (not really crew - actually his only permanent paying passenger), a backwoodsy mechanic with an i

R

rambunctious

STP-<br /><br />"Firefly" was a great show that IMO never got a fair chance. I loved the juxtaposition of far-future technology and old-West culture. I'm glad that the series is getting aired again on SciFi and I'll be among the first in line to see "Serenity."<br /><br />"...If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew pieces of our skin into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky...They'll do it in that order."<br /><br />But other than that, what's not to like? Heh.<br /><br />

S

serak_the_preparer

RAMbunctious, <i>Firefly</i> was amazing, the best sci-fi adventure stuff I've ever seen aired as a television series. And the movie ain't bad either.<br /><br />In fact, the movie has just had its world premiere. Which was a smashing success, from most accounts. Anyone curious can hop over to the Science Fiction forum to check out the threads about the movie.<br /><br />But that's not why I'm here. It's time once again for the weekly heads-up:<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, AUG. 26</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Safe"</font><br /><br /><i>Book is gravely wounded in an accidental shooting, just as a backward people in need of a doctor kidnap Simon ... and mistake River for a witch.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C

S

serak_the_preparer

Just an FYI for those not looking past the first page.<br /><br />Okay, going away now.

S

serak_the_preparer

From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, SEPT. 2</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Our Mrs. Reynolds"</font><br /><br /><i>Mal awakens after a big party with an even bigger hangover ... and a mysterious new wife named Saffron.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C<br /><br />(A good one - I recommend this to any of you who haven't yet checked out the series!)

R

rambunctious

So, you've seen the movie? Comments? Do we get to meet the Reavers?

F

flynn

Good Episode yes. Saffron is lovely too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

RAM, I recommend Spacechump's Serenity movie thread and the one I started later on, New Firefly movie "Serenity" trailer! Both are located over in the Science Fiction forum.<br /><br />Only a few lucky souls have seen the finished version of the movie, which was recently premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, where it received a warm greeting. But before the premiere there were several unadvertised stealth screenings of the unfinished film. Even in that unpolished state, the movie was excellent, so I'm hopeful that it will do well.<br /><br />If the movie does do well, there will be more. If you're enjoying the series at all, then I strongly recommend you check out the movie when it hits theaters on September 30th.<br /><br />***M*I*N*O*R***S*P*O*I*L*E*R***<br /><br />P.S.-<br />Small spoiler for those who have read this far. So please stop reading now if you wish for everything in the movie to remain a complete surprise...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />Yes, there are indeed Reavers.

S

serak_the_preparer

Flynn, the Saffron character was an inspired addition to the Firefly cast. She shows up again in a later episode (as you probably know, but others reading may not). And, yes, I must agree that Christina Hendricks is easy on the eyes.<br /><br />According to FireflyWiki.org - Firefly.OurMrsReynolds, this is one of the best and funniest episodes of the series.

S

serak_the_preparer

From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, SEPT. 9</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Jaynestown"</font><br /><br /><i>The crew visits a town that mistakenly reveres Jayne as a hero, and Inara "makes a man" of a local VIP's son.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C<br /><br />. . .<br /><br />This just might be the funniest - and most fun - episode of the series. Highly recommended if you're ready to relax and have a laugh. Has a kind of barroom-brawl thing going for it and, strangely, something reminiscent - in an ironic, humorous, yet still poignant way - of the western classic 'Shane.'<br /><br />Anyway, give it a watch.

S

serak_the_preparer

On the SciFi Channel.<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, SEPT. 16</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Out of Gas"</font><br /><br /><i>An explosion leaves the dying Mal to recall how he first acquired his ship and assembled his crew.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C<br /><br />Excellent backgrounder episode for anyone who may have missed the pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts