First Star Trek reviews....

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattblack

nimbus":3l5lerg2 said:
mattblack":3l5lerg2 said:
nimbus":3l5lerg2 said:
Start a new thread. Hold the mayo^H^H^H^H verbosity :p

What you call verbosity, some of us call literacy. As for the "agree to disagree" declaration. Well, even to stretching my point, that's like saying "We can agree to disagree -- but I still say they didn't land on the Moon".

Hey, well, we can all believe what we want -- rational or not -- but that does not make it right... :roll:
Turtleneck much?

Eh? I don't own any, nor am I from Ohio.

O

oker59

I'm getting this feeling that this Star Trek is just a redo of the Wrath of Khan . . . am I right?!

M

mattblack

Protomatter = "Red Matter". Clue: both failed to work right. Also, the villian in the new film blames the hero (older Spock) for the death of his wife!! (Khan+Kirk+Khan's dead wife). Yep, they are riffing on "The Wrath Of Khan", alright.

C

cookie_thief

I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but why was Iowa so dry and arid looking and where is there a huge, thousand foot, half-mile wide canyon (where Kirky boy loses the 'vette) in that state? :roll:

P.S. That car sounded like it was burning gasoline or was it ? No wonder the robocop went after him!

Y

yevaud

Multiple contradictions there.

On the one hand, he's supposed to be from Iowa, but I suppose that went out the window. Next, the Enterprise was supposed to be built in San Francisco, so my guess is that's the region where he lives, but right back to your point: where is there a vast canyon such as that within easy driving distance of SF?

C

cookie_thief

yevaud":1lr76n3h said:
Multiple contradictions there.

On the one hand, he's supposed to be from Iowa, but I suppose that went out the window. Next, the Enterprise was supposed to be built in San Francisco, so my guess is that's the region where he lives, but right back to your point: where is there a vast canyon such as that within easy driving distance of SF?

Good point about SF as the locale, maybe it's arid because of greenhouse warming? A subtle hint, perhaps. OTOH, I thought the subtitle indicated the location as Iowa, in the year (something-something). At any rate, this makes for a good excuse to tell my wife why I need to see it again. ;)

B

bdewoody

It seems that most of the reviewers have missed the point of this movie. Yes it's Jim Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scottie, Checkov, Sulu, and Uhura but the way this movie has been spun with a new timeline they don't have to stick to the events that have occurred in all the prior Star Trek movies or TV shows. They are free to take these movies in a whole new direction. That is unless they come back in the second movie and try to restore the time line and save Vulcan.

By the way I thoroughly enjoyed this movie which the exception of the canyon in Iowa.

F

figure8

Haven't seen the film yet (long story, brother was a Trekky, I rebelled)... didn't read this whole thread (hurdling and dodging spoilers) but from what I've read of this thread you guys convince me to watch it. I really don't like the actor portraying Spock. What little I've watched of Heroes...he is beyond creepy. But all in all I'm ready to see it -- as far as "rewriting" the story, it seems like a version of fan fiction and I'm assuming he got the green light from Roddenberry's people. Go JJ!

D

docm

cookie_thief":1o5863dj said:
I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but why was Iowa so dry and arid looking and where is there a huge, thousand foot, half-mile wide canyon (where Kirky boy loses the 'vette) in that state? :roll:

P.S. That car sounded like it was burning gasoline or was it ? No wonder the robocop went after him!
There are some significant gorges in eastern Iowa. Remember that part borders on the Mississippi river basin. Paternal grandmother lived in Moline, Ill - right across the river from Davenport, Iowa.

Ever hear of E-85, an 85% ethanol-gasoline blend? Both of our minivans can burn it now, and it isn't even the 23rd century....and you can get a BATF license to make your own. 105 octane and they run like bats out of hell on it. I would imagine with a few tweaks you can forget the gasoline part.

F

figure8

Just saw the film -- it was "fascinating"! : ) Seriously, I really loved it and despite my misgivings about the Spock actor from Heroes, he did a great job as did all the actors. It was funny, touching and very well written (from a screenwriter's point of view...I don't know how well the black hole/time travel/physics jargon held up under SDC scrutiny).

The point about the Mississippi crossed my mind while watching -- were they insinuating that the gorge was the future Mississippi? If I imagine how JJ and/or the writers have done "metaphysical" homework, I think so.

D

dryson

cookie_thief wrote:I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but why was Iowa so dry and arid looking and where is there a huge, thousand foot, half-mile wide canyon (where Kirky boy loses the 'vette) in that state? :roll:

You have to remember that Star Fleet had it's beginning after the factional wars of the Western and Eastern Coalitions, which brought about devastating attacks on both sides. Many major cities in the United States would have been destroyed in the first wave if nuclear attacks. These attacks would have left very high levels of radiation in the surrounding areas that would have killed the trees and plant life, both of which are the primary factor in keeping an area from being arid and dry as Iowa was in the movie. https://www.msu.edu/user/dunnjef1/rd491/soile.htm. I reference you too Star Trek:First Contact.

F

FlatEarth

Reviving an old thread here. Saw ST while it was playing, and got the DVD/Blu-ray for a gift. I liked it better the second time, and that's a good sign. The thing I wanted to say was in the extras disc, they go over the casting, set design, etc., and they did a great job of giving you an idea of what it was like to be part of the filming. The cast has really great chemistry, and it made me like and appreciate everyone in the movie. It you have a copy, it's worth watching!

10_stone_5

I liked it.

Two memorable scenes were Kirk passing the Kobayashi Maru, staring at Pike & Spock thru the observation glass and taking a huge chunk out of an apple ...

... and Scotty, with the Enterprise minutes away from being blasted out of existence by Nero, saying "I like this ship. Its exciting ! You know ??!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts