Five spacewalks in one mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Just how readily can the Endeavour astronauts make 5 spacewalks? I know spacewalking in current suits tires an astronaut out. I also know that the same astronauts would not make all 5 walks, but still... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

R

rfoshaug

There have been missions before (Hubble repair) with 5 space walks.<br /><br />It would be demanding of the crew, but this mission might be extended by quite a few days because of the new Station-to-Shuttle Power Transfer system that allows Endeavour to conserve its own electrical power by receiving power from the station. This means that the crew would still have rest days between EVA's. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff9900">----------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#ff9900">My minds have many opinions</font></p> </div>

B

bobblebob

Its only the last few missions that they have started to camp out in the Quest airlock the night before an EVA, meaing longer prep time. The mission you're talking about with hubble i dont think they did this.

E

erioladastra

<br />Also, for Hubble we had 2 teams of space walkers. Here we are using 3. Part of the extension time would be to allow for them to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts