Flight sim software for the Saturn/Apollo spacecraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Just wondering if someone has written a flight simulator for the Saturn/Apollo space craft. Destinations should include the Moon, a Soyuz, and Skylab. Lunar missions should include a fully working lander. It might be a good idea if the various generations of the lander were all available so you could try each type of lunar mission (G, H, I, J, etc). J missions should also include a sim for the rover.<br /><br />As Orion comes along, the same sim could be given new parameters to simulate those missions (which might include ISS as a destination). Either way, the view outside should resemble what a real astronaut would see. You should also be able to roam the cabin as needed.<br /><br />Now who wants to pretend they are the first person on the Moon? Ready to come up with a speech? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

D

davf

Orbiter is great and you can't beat the price!<br /><br />Another one that looks pretty good but is a Mercury spacecraft only sim (and it's also payware) is: A-OK: Wings of Mercury. http://www.aokwom.com/ <br />I've been very interested in it for a while but I just can't stomach paying $50 for a spacecraft that can't maneuver in orbit (other than to change orientation).

H

halman

willpittenger,<br /><br />There used to be an arcade game based upon the Lunar Excursion Module descent and landing. I saw a version adapted to run on an Apple II, but that was in 1986. It was fairly realistic as far as the gravity effect, but did not have any detailed graphics of the last portion of the landing. I would love to play that one again! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> The secret to peace of mind is a short attention span. </div>

J

j05h

<i>> Only $50? That's is a lot cheaper than what NASA paid. Don't complain.</i><br /><br />Orbiter is free and does the same thing, but much expanded with other craft. It just has a high learning curve. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

H

halman

gawin,<br /><br />Cool! Thank you! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> The secret to peace of mind is a short attention span. </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.