FLORIDA NIGHT SKY

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tamirov

I moved from Minnesota to Florida and noticed that I can't see any stars in the night sky in Bradenton FL. Why? Thank you. :(

O

origin

It is probably due to a combination of light polution and high humidity. After a cold front moves through head to the interior of the state and you should get a nice view of the stars.

C

CalliArcale

Tamirov":344xa7a7 said:
I moved from Minnesota to Florida and noticed that I can't see any stars in the night sky in Bradenton FL. Why? Thank you. :(

Now, why'd you do a crazy thing like that? High humidity and about fifty times as many mosquitos as we've got up here in MN. Plus no real winter to kill off the six-legged bastards! :p

(Just kidding. Florida's not a bad place to live, and for a space junkie, the prospect of watching rocket launches is absolutely awesome!)

What origin said. There is considerably more light pollution in most of Florida than in most of Minnesota, and it's definitely more humid which magnifies the problem. That's the big upshot of cold winters -- the air gets really dry, which makes for much better stargazing. (Downside is hypothermia of course.) If you want stunning night views without the cold, your best bet is the desert -- preferably at high altitude, and far away from cities. It can still get cold at night, but not like a Minnesota January. Arizona and New Mexico are good bets for that.

T

Tamirov

Thanks for the reply. My brother-in-law and I have been having disagreements about this question. I few hundred miles South of my current location, out to sea, I see millions of stars.

I love Minnesota just not the direction it leans politically. It was time to go.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.