Forgot about Mars Polar Lander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pioneer0333

Does NASA plan to try to land on Mars' polar cap again? I just think that if life ever was present on Mars, the poles are where we should start, not the deserts. And what about the caves of Mars, is there a good way to explore a cave on Mars? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

I don't know for sure if they plan to go back to the martian poles but a mission there may have better luck at finding living microorganisms.<br /><br />Exploring caves on mars would require knowing in advance where the caves are. As most caves are generally in the up slopes of hills, or mountains. There would have to be a large flat area for a rover type vehicle to land, then drive out to the cave.<br /><br />Mars orbiters with extremelly high res cameras would be needed to locate caves. IIRC, the current orbiter has such imaging capability which might allow it to spot larger cave openings. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>There would have to be a large flat area for a rover type vehicle to land, then drive out to the cave.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />At least with today's lander technology. Maybe in 10-20 years...<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Mars orbiters with extremelly high res cameras would be needed to locate caves.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />MRO's Hi-Res and Radar might be able to help out there.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>the current orbiter has such imaging capability<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Which orbiter are you calling current? MRO? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

N

nexium

Technology already exists to find both small and large discontinuities as deep as several miles below the surface. We likely already have a good idea of cave locations on Mars. Neil

J

JonClarke

Which technology do you mean? Can you give some idea as rto which locations we already have a good idea have caves?<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Q

qso1

Whatever the most current one is, I think its MRO. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

A

astrokid14

I think a great place to send some sort of lander/rover would be inside Valles Marineris.

W

willpittenger

It is the latest to arrive there -- but not the latest to being doing science there. That would be Mars Odessys. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

In any case, I think they have enough resolution to be able to spot larger cave openings under the right conditions. Some of the gully images where sands have slide down the sides of hills are pretty detailed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.