Fuel depot impact protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

Curious what the design picture looks like for a fuel depot (e.g. at least as massive as ULA's proposed ACES-based design), to protect from micrometeroids and other particle impacts. Anyone know if a few layers of something like the inflatable Bigelow modules use would be enough for the depot's lifetime?

E

EarthlingX

nimbus":2htpel56 said:
Curious what the design picture looks like for a fuel depot (e.g. at least as massive as ULA's proposed ACES-based design), to protect from micrometeroids and other particle impacts. Anyone know if a few layers of something like the inflatable Bigelow modules use would be enough for the depot's lifetime?
My guess concerning meteorite impacts, would be that there are already things in space, actually so many they cause traffic jams, and they all have to be protected against meteorite impacts, at least to the extent.
There are other problems too, like hydrogen evaporation, because of it's very small atom, effects of the solar heat, fuel transfer and so on.
Let's keep our eyes open, see what is done.

Successful Flight Demonstration Conducted by the Air Forceand United Launch Alliance Will Enhance Space Transportation
(2010.01.14)
The Air Force and United Launch Alliance (ULA) successfully completed numerous on-orbit
cryogenic-fluid-management demonstrations on the Atlas V AV-017 mission following successful insertion of the DMSP-18 spacecraft.

Paper, describing concept:
Realistic Near-Term Propellant Depots: Implementation of a Critical Spacefaring Capability
Orbital cryogenic propellant depots and the ability to refuel spacecraft in orbit are critical capabilities for the expansion of human life throughout the Solar System. While depots have long been recognized as an important component of large-scale manned spaceflight efforts, questions about their technology readiness have so far prevented their implementation. Technological advancements in settled cryogenic handling, passive thermal control systems, and autonomous rendezvous and docking techniques make near-term implementation of cryogenic propellant depots significantly more realistic. Current work on flight-demonstration tools like ULA’s CRYOTE testbed, and Masten Space Systems’s XA-1.0 suborbital RLV provide methods for affordably retiring the remaining technical
risks for cryogenic depots.
Both from here:
Category Archive for 'Propellant Depots'

ULA claim gap reducing solution via EELV exploration master plan
The United Launch Alliance (ULA) have created an expansive plan to utilize the Atlas and Delta Launch Vehicle families to provide the United States with an architecture that both reduces the gap and provides greater flexibility – when compared to NASA’s current Ares-based plans. ULA’s plans range from Low Earth Orbit (LEO) access, to the ability to cater for NASA’s most ambitious lunar base plan.
ULA10.jpg

ULA6.jpg

ULA2.jpg

ULA4.jpg

(i know you know this one, and this one too ;) : (forum, links to documents)
ULA's EELV alternative plans (DTAL, tankers & archetecture)

Some older links:
Boeing propellant depot : useful space stations for space development
2196444468_b7a03ff363.jpg

The orbital fuel depot is a fantastic concept [Updates]
Rob Coppinger doesn't believe in orbital propellant depots: The fantasy of orbital fuel depots - Hyperbola - Nov.19.08.
Orbiting gas station could refuel lunar missions
FORGET huge, expensive rockets. A plan being examined by a US government panel would allow smaller, cheaper rockets to fly to the moon and beyond by stopping off at an "orbiting gas station".
Orbital refuelling stations could rescue NASA Mars plans
US rocket makers have suggested that plans for interplanetary exploration - imperilled by a forecast lack of funds following recent economic problems and a new administration in Washington - could be saved by the use of orbital "propellant depots" or space fuelling stations.

This might be also related:
QuickLaunch's Spacegun
ModularSpaceDepot.jpg

Forum, an old thread, recently revived :
Orbital Gas Stations

W

Woggles

A little off topic. I was thinking about the "fuel depot" concept. I believe it takes 4 pounds of fuel for every lb lifted. That is pretty expensive fuel!! I was wonder will the price of the fuel fluctuate, like at gas station here on earth? This will be a private enterprise endeavor, so obvious there will be a mark up.

E

EarthlingX

Woggles":k30vjf6k said:
A little off topic. I was thinking about the "fuel depot" concept. I believe it takes 4 pounds of fuel for every lb lifted. That is pretty expensive fuel!! I was wonder will the price of the fuel fluctuate, like at gas station here on earth? This will be a private enterprise endeavor, so obvious there will be a mark up.
Point of the concept is, that you use cheap, not so very safe or tested rockets to ferry fuel, which is rather common around here, to the depot (anyone who can do it can sell it, in the orbit), and use different, safer, much more reliable and costly spacecraft to carry people.
It gives a market to almost anyone, gives them money for development from their profits if any, and makes out-of-LEO travel cheaper, because launch vehicle lifts only what is needed to get to orbit, with empty tanks for further travel.
Example:
Zenit rocket has a price to LEO about 3000 $/kg, Ariane around 15-20 000 $/kg, Shuttle with a rather optimistic view around 30-50 000 $/kg, depending.
Exact numbers are probably known only to the one writing check ..
There are concepts in the works, for which such a chance would mean they can get investment for their project, like Spacegun above, and many others, which promise price to LEO under 1000 $/kg, but not safe enough presently, or not even designed for human travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts