galactic core

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimeDog

i was curious about where in the sky the galactic core is, does anybody know this? i looked at some old maps of mine but it didnt really mark it. however i kinda figured that wouldnt be on there.

M

MeteorWayne

The center of the galaxy is in the constellation Sagittarius, just west (to the right) of the "teapot" asterism. The closest bright star is 3 Sagittarii.

Wayne

K

kg

MeteorWayne":3ve5amc0 said:
The center of the galaxy is in the constellation Sagittarius, just west (to the right) of the "teapot" asterism. The closest bright star is 3 Sagittarii.
Wayne

This area of the sky is a fantastic place to look at through a telescope or even binoculars!

R

RichardG

From what I just read in "Starry Night" we can't actually see the center of the Milky Way galaxy because of a giant dust cloud that blocks that region from us. That region should be so packed with stars that making out any single star would be impossible, I think. So maybe a dust cloud between the center and us is a good thing.
Of course it would be good to see some Milky Way stars being sucked into the black hole in the cente?

M

MeteorWayne

It is true that we can't see the exact center in visible light due to the dust. However, using other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, we can track stars in very close orbits around the black hole at the center.

S

SpeedFreek

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4o9xft1Lw[/youtube]

S

SpaceXFanMobius57

I live in a suburban region, i can only see a few stars an really never see the milky way dust clouds. I think it is becasue of the city lights around me. I think i need to make a trip someday to a clear fied where it it extremely dark. What is the darkedt place on the eastern USA? The Outerbanks or eastern shore prehaps since I live close to them, or the appalachians? I really want to see what the galactic core dust cloud look like in person.

M

MeteorWayne

SpaceXFanMobius57":3snyed53 said:
I live in a suburban region, i can only see a few stars an really never see the milky way dust clouds. I think it is becasue of the city lights around me. I think i need to make a trip someday to a clear fied where it it extremely dark. What is the darkedt place on the eastern USA? The Outerbanks or eastern shore prehaps since I live close to them, or the appalachians? I really want to see what the galactic core dust cloud look like in person.

What is your nearest city. Once we know that, we can provide some advice. "A suburban region" isn't specific enough :)

I'll add a link to a dark sky site map shortly..

Wayne

S

SpaceXFanMobius57

Norfolk/Va Beach.

I acually live right close to NASA Langley Research Center and regulary drive by it.

M

MeteorWayne

Well with that in mind the Outer Banks seem like a superb place to me! :)

That's about 8 hours away for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts