Galaxy Birth (mergers out, streams of gas in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BoJangles

<font face="Calibri" size="3"><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><span>Galaxy Birth (mergers out, streams of gas in)</span></p><p><font size="2"><em><span style="color:black;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif'">The new theory, motivated by advanced astronomical observations and based on state-of-the-art computer simulations, maintains that the galaxies primarily formed as a result of intensive cosmic streams of cold gas (mostly hydrogen) and not, as current theory contends, due primarily to galactic mergers. The researchers show that these mergers had only limited influence on the cosmological makeup of the universe as we know it.</span></em></font>&nbsp;</p><p><span style="color:purple">http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090121144051.htm</span> </p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><span>---</span></p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><span>Personally this seems much more feasible (In my undereducated opinion). I was never happy with the merger hypothesis (as seen here), it just seems to messy,&nbsp;in fact I imaged a similar process myself (among other things). </span></p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><span>Some would argue I probably don&rsquo;t deserve to have an opinion (due to my lack of credentials), but that just takes the fun out of things.</span></p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal">---</p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal">Although I actually subscribe to this idea more than the merger hypothesis, It bugs me when I see language like this in an article.</p><p><em><span style="font-size:10pt;color:black;line-height:115%">The accepted model <strong>until now</strong> has as its basis the idea of spherical gas infall into a central disk, followed by mergers between disks</span></em></p><p><span style="color:black">What, did all the worlds cosmologists have a big vote the other day?</span></p><p><span style="color:black">Maybe this is just my lack of understanding of the scientific process.</span> </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p>Here's the relevant paper associated with the article:</p><p>http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.0553</p><p>This is some very interesting work.&nbsp; Aiashai Dekel is pretty well respected and I have viewed some of his lectures.&nbsp; I would caution, as with all magazine articles, not to take the verbage they use too literally. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Thanks for the link :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts