"Gap" to become a "void"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

<p>Link....</p><p><strong>Quote:</strong></p><p><strong>Kazakhstan bans foreigners from Baikonur, other areas</strong></p><p>ASTANA, December 26 (RIA Novosti) - The Kazakh government issued a decree on Friday banning foreigners from visiting four areas of the country, including the city of Baikonur, which services the eponymous space center. </p><p><strong><font color="#800000">Baikonur, the town of Gvardeysk near the former capital, Almaty, and two regions in the Kyzylorda province have been closed to foreigners until 2015.</font></strong> </p><p>"The entry of foreigners into the temporarily closed territories is permitted only upon authorization from the Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry of the republic of Kazakhstan, following consultations with Kazakhstan's national security committee," the statement says. </p><p>Russia has leased the Baikonur space center from Kazakhstan since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the lease treaty will expire in 2050. It pays annual fee of $115 million for the use of the space center, which has the world's busiest launch schedule at the moment. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><font size="2"><strong>Hi docm,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Wonder what has prompted that course of action? Fears of security? Seems strange.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

D

docm

Got me.&nbsp; Maybe trying to shake down the Russians for more cash before they finish the new <span class="BTX">Vostochny Cosmodrome (the old&nbsp;Svobodny site at 51&deg;42N/128&deg;00 E). It could be open&nbsp;as soon as 2018 (SDC article....)</span> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Got me.&nbsp; Maybe trying to shake down the Russians for more cash before they finish the new Vostochny Cosmodrome (the old&nbsp;Svobodny site at 51&deg;42N/128&deg;00 E). It could be open&nbsp;as soon as 2018 (SDC article....) <br /> Posted by docm</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Thanks docm,&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Seems likely to get more cash from Russia as you say before the new cosmodrome is completed within Russia itself. Seems like finances are involved & that Kazahkstan seems 'miffed' by Russia's move & of course loss of revenue.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

M

MarkStanaway

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Link....Quote:Kazakhstan bans foreigners from Baikonur, other areasASTANA, December 26 (RIA Novosti) - The Kazakh government issued a decree on Friday banning foreigners from visiting four areas of the country, including the city of Baikonur, which services the eponymous space center. Baikonur, the town of Gvardeysk near the former capital, Almaty, and two regions in the Kyzylorda province have been closed to foreigners until 2015. "The entry of foreigners into the temporarily closed territories is permitted only upon authorization from the Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry of the republic of Kazakhstan, following consultations with Kazakhstan's national security committee," the statement says. Russia has leased the Baikonur space center from Kazakhstan since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the lease treaty will expire in 2050. It pays annual fee of $115 million for the use of the space center, which has the world's busiest launch schedule at the moment. <br /> Posted by docm</DIV></p><p>I assume they must be referring to 'Baikonur' aka 'Tyuratam' and not 'Baikonur' the small town some 350 km NE of the well known Cosmodrome!&nbsp;</p><p>I recently came across this description by former Cosmonaut Vladislav Volkov of why the present location was chosen to build a cosmodrome back in 1955.&nbsp;</p><p>'The site was chosen by maximising the coincidence of inconveniences. First find a place which is uninhabited and extremely difficult to reach by any mode of transport including camel and donkey. There should be no water but plenty of sand, preferebly in excess, and the wind should stir up enough dust to block all vision, with the added bonus of tasting it in your mouth as well as in the food - allowing you to recall the benefits of your wife's cooking. If you can find such a place, you can build a cosmodrome there! That's exactly what the Soviets did!</p><p>'The Rocket Men' by Rex Hall and David Shayler pp 54-55.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts