Genesis Results.. odd earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dagas

I remember recently reading something about the Genesis spacecraft which crashed against earth that the precious cargo it retrieved from space (solar wind samples) could be saved and the results are finally coming in...<BR/><BR/>odd earth... the oxygen isotopes ratios from the solar wind and the earth does not match... as if the earth has formed elsewhere or at least not near the sun... can someone clarify me this? im not a chemist but i found the info very interesting to discuss...<BR/><BR/>btw i tihnk i read the info from the sky & telescope magazine online news.

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I remember recently reading something about the Genesis spacecraft which crashed against earth that the precious cargo it retrieved from space (solar wind samples) could be saved and the results are finally coming in... odd earth... the oxygen isotopes ratios from the solar wind and the earth does not match... as if the earth has formed elsewhere or at least not near the sun... can someone clarify me this? im not a chemist but i found the info very interesting to discuss... btw i tihnk i read the info from the sky & telescope magazine online news. <br />Posted by dagas</DIV></p><p>Different parts of the solar nebula had different isotope ratios, so different bodies should have different signatures.</p><p>&nbsp;Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts