German blows hands off trying 'molecular gastronomy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Gotta be careful there...

An experimental German cook accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said.

The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.

There was an "enormous explosion'', according to the Berliner Morgenpost daily.

The man lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly injured it had to be amputated.

More.

Vogon might very well appreciate the last line of the article.

M

MannyPim

doublehelix":2ub1v10u said:
Gotta be careful there...

An experimental German cook accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said.

The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.

There was an "enormous explosion'', according to the Berliner Morgenpost daily.

The man lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly injured it had to be amputated.

More.

Vogon might very well appreciate the last line of the article.

"dangerous chemical" indeed..... who writes this crap ??
Apparently there are no real journalists left anywhere in the world... no one with a grammar school equivalence in science literacy.

Y

yevaud

Too true, Manny.

My guess is that he had the liquid Nitrogen - which is NOT flammable, nor usually poses an explosive hazard - in a sealed metal dewar. The Liquid Nitrogen began to warm up - gas pressure inside increasing - and his little cold dewar became one nasty little explosion.

C

CalliArcale

Agreed. While liquid nitrogen does have its dangers (mainly frostbite), explosion isn't one of them. Heck, you can put out fires pretty effectively (albeit expensively) with it. This sounds more like a pressure explosion.

Although.....it does say that the guy claimed to have been trying to fill a "gas lighter" at the time of the explosion, though his girlfriend says he was emptying the liquid nitrogen flask. So is it possible the liquid nitrogen is just an innocent bystander, so to speak?

J

jimglenn

What an amateur. I get my best cooking results with formaldahyde.

Formaldehyde.jpg

However for exotic dishes, saute (mixed with whale fat), and Vog fixin's, I find that carbon tet
gives a superior taste. I think it's da chlorine atoms that do it. Four of 'em. That's crankin taste! :eek:

fla_carbon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.