Get to Mars Afforablly Using Commercial Space Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarkenedOne

There are many problems associated with going to Mars. The greatest of which is the shear amount of mass and fuel any mission to Mars would require. Mars Direct made a significant leap forward in advocating the use of on site propellant production. While this reduces the mass required on the outbound journey it still requires a huge amount of fuel to accelerate a spacecraft with enough size to accommodate a few humans for years.

One solution to this challenge is Buzz Aldrin's idea of using a cycler. Essentially the idea is not to use a spaceship for transferring people from Earth to Mars at all, but to use a space station. This space station would be placed in an orbit where it meets both Earth and Mars on a regular basis. Then small "taxi" spacecraft will handle the transfers to and from the surface of both planets.

The benefits of this is simple. First of all it is completely reusable. The Space Station would probably be a smaller, yet more technologically advanced version of the ISS. It would utilize the most advance life support and recycling systems. It would also use electric propulsion like VASIMR for orbital corrections. It would have significantly more shielding in order to protect against radiation. This space station would probably have have a life space of 20 to 30 year like the ISS, thus it would make the trip to and from Mars over a dozen times. This fact is important if sustainable exploration is the intention. You do not want to have to build very large spacecraft for every single mission like in Apollo.

The second benefit is the enormous decrease in fuel need to accomplish missions. If you were to accelerate a large expendable spacecraft it would require huge amounts of energy, power, and fuel. Using a cycler only space "taxis" would be needed for the journey to and from both Mars and Earth. These craft are only expected to sustain human like for a few days at most, thus they can be very small like SpaceXs Dragon. These craft would bring both astronauts and cargo up to and from the station. Since the transfer spacecraft as small they do not require super heavy lift.

Now I definitely thing that this is definitely the best way. My only concern is that NASA would not be able to establish such a station at a reasonable cost. After all it cost them 100 billion to build a station that was expected to cost less than 20. That is where the private sector comes in. If people like Bigelow and this new Russian company succeed in building commercial space station especially using Bigelow's inflatable technology than I expect they will be able to construct space stations at a fraction of the cost.

O

oldAtlas_Eguy

Multiple stations in the Earth Mars transfer orbit would work even better so that twice a Martian year a station does a close approach. Also a third station that would be installed at Mars orbit would be needed, possibly anchored to one of the Martian moons. Once all this is setup then the only additional craft would indeed be supplies and personnel for a short duration (a week or two) transfer craft at each end of the long duration transfer orbit station orbits.

Each Earth to Mars trip the station could shepherd the crew, supplies and hardware buildup for the Mars surface exploration as well as the Mars orbit station. This is probably the best idea I have herd yet for a sustained infrastructure for HSF Mars exploration. The long term costs would indeed be lower than other methods I have heard for Mars exploration.

O

orienteer

Is it possible to get your taxi to launch inside of the window of the cycler and also be fast enough to dock. I haven't run the numbers, but it sounds like syfy to me.

N

neutrino78x

DarkenedOne":1ze8fvke said:
There are many problems associated with going to Mars. The greatest of which is the shear amount of mass and fuel any mission to Mars would require. Mars Direct made a significant leap forward in advocating the use of on site propellant production. While this reduces the mass required on the outbound journey it still requires a huge amount of fuel to accelerate a spacecraft with enough size to accommodate a few humans for years.

You don't accommodate them for a few years under Mars Direct. 6 months each way, then 1 year on the surface. You never spend more than 6 months in transit. We live in close quarters on submarines too, it is fine for short periods. I think submarine officers will make good candidates for Mars missions. :)

One solution to this challenge is Buzz Aldrin's idea of using a cycler. Essentially the idea is not to use a spaceship for transferring people from Earth to Mars at all, but to use a space station. This space station would be placed in an orbit where it meets both Earth and Mars on a regular basis. Then small "taxi" spacecraft will handle the transfers to and from the surface of both planets.

That's an excellent idea for once we are ready to start transferring large numbers of people. It wouldn't be in the initial missions, though.

Does Buzz Aldrin have a web page detailing the idea of a cycler? I have to check out his stuff...

My only concern is that NASA would not be able to establish such a station at a reasonable cost. After all it cost them 100 billion to build a station that was expected to cost less than 20.

Yeah that's why Robert Zubrin (inventor of Mars Direct) said in The Case for Mars that you don't want to build Battlestar Galactica just to go to Mars.

That is where the private sector comes in. If people like Bigelow and this new Russian company succeed in building commercial space station especially using Bigelow's inflatable technology than I expect they will be able to construct space stations at a fraction of the cost.

I agree...

--Brian

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

I agree. Have the ship on a constant cycle between Mars and Earth, with crew vehicles attaching to it. It is likely some maintenance will have to be done on each rendezvous, so the cycler should have a crew quarters where EVAs can be launched from.

S

samkent

Lets use a thought experiment. You have thus mid point space station.

You have to breathe and eat from Earth to the station. And from the station to Mars. Where’s the consumable savings?

You have to ship supplies to the station. You have to burn to stop at the station and burn to leave. Where’s the fuel savings?

The station is lined up with Earth but not with Mars. So you will have to wait at the station for the next alignment. Where is the time savings?

Status
Not open for further replies.