GLAST renamed for Fermi; first results

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p>Spaceflightnow is reporting that the GLAST launch is now listed as NET (No Earlier Than) June 6th to resolve engineering issues.</p><p>GLAST is a space observatory to examine high energy (Gamma Rays and Cosmic Rays, etc) and will really help us examine cutting edge, high energy processes in the Solar System, GAlaxy, and beyond.</p><p>If you'd like to learn more, there's more than I can summarize. For an intro, set aside a half hour and browse around here....</p><p>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/science/index.html</p><p>Fortunately for us, we don't live in an&nbsp;place (at the surface, and largly in LEO (Low Earth Orbit) ) where these events threaten us so far. This is an unexplored wavelength and resolution region of our environment.</p><p>Cutting edge science, my friends.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>spaceflightnow is reporting the launch date is NET June 7.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bpcooper

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>spaceflightnow is reporting the launch date is NET June 7. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>It was postponed to the 6th and now the 7th both in the same day. I am not sure of the nature of the issues.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

T

Testing

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It was postponed to the 6th and now the 7th both in the same day. I am not sure of the nature of the issues.&nbsp; <br />Posted by bpcooper</DIV><br /><br />Unspecified engineering issues with the Delta launch vehicle is the words I got. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>I have some questions,&nbsp; Our sun is considered quiet (with some exceptions heh) in regards to the production of Gamma-Rays.&nbsp; Is that typical of stars its size?&nbsp; And is their a rating system for stars Gamma-ray production.</p><p>&nbsp; Results from the Compton Gamma-Ray observatory linked Gamma-Ray bombardment in the upper atmosphere to lightning storms.&nbsp; (I think,&nbsp; I remember reading something to that affect, but I have no proof) &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; Would is be plausible to use this to our advantage, for better forcasting, and maybe after study dispertion of lighting storms using Gamma radiation?&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

B

bpcooper

There is a 70 percent chance of good weather both the 7th and 8th. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

From NASA: launch no earlier than Sunday June 8 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

KosmicHero

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>From NASA: launch no earlier than Sunday June 8 <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />The issues are launch vehicle related.&nbsp; The satellite has no issues.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;You ever notice on these things that the customer (NASA) and sometimes the scientists are mentioned but the contractors that build them are rarely mentioned?&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> kosmichero.wordpress.com </div>

B

bpcooper

We're looking at an indefinite postponment now. The range is refusing to allow a waiver on a rocket issue, for both GLAST and Jason. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

B

bpcooper

It appears that GLAST's issue is with the flight termination system and its battery which already expired, and it will get a new one from Jason's vehicle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

T

Testing

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It appears that GLAST's issue is with the flight termination system and its battery which already expired, and it will get a new one from Jason's vehicle. <br />Posted by bpcooper</DIV><br /><br />Ben do you know the next available window for launch? Limited life items are a big issue when programs take delays. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bpcooper

I'm sure however fast they can fix it they will go. Perhaps only another day or two but I don't know. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

T

Testing

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm sure however fast they can fix it they will go. Perhaps only another day or two but I don't know. <br />Posted by bpcooper</DIV><br /><br />Copy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>net 11 June <br />Posted by Cygnus_2112</DIV><br /><br />Well hopefully soon is tomorrow.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The NASA TV MEDIA (Not Public) channel has coverage beginning 9:45 AM EDT tomorrow June 11, with launch&nbsp;2 hours later.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

Just in time for when i finish work :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Just in time for when i finish work :) <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Everything looks good for the launch in about 3 hrs and 11 min.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Everything looks good for the launch in about 3 hrs and 11 min. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV><br /><br />Glad to hear it, Thanx! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Launch coverage about to begin on the NASA TV Media channel.</p><p>Launch scheduled for 11:45 AM EDT AFAIK.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>There will be a 1 hour replay on the Public channel at 3PM EDT.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>40% chance of launch weather violation, if I heard the weather briefing right.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/public/ <br />Posted by Cygnus_2112</DIV><br /><br />Thanx, Jim! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanx, Jim! <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Did not come out of the hold at T-4:00</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Recycling count, no new launch time set yet...hang on.</p><p>No reason yet for delay</p><p>Edit: Reason, Downrange station at Antiqua NoGo Waiting for status.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

Not coming out of the hold yet. Assume its due to the comms problems they just experienced while conducting the final poll? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Did not come out of the hold at T-4:00&nbsp;Recycling count, no new launch time set yet...hang on.No reason yet for delayEdit: Reason, Downrange station at Antiqua NoGo Waiting for status. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Antigua back up, waiting for new launch time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts