Google Mars launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nacnud

At last google, with help from the scientists behind the Mars Odyssey, has released it's mapping technology on Mars. Now where is that face supposed to be?<br /><br />http://www.google.com/mars/

N

nacnud

Cool, the data is not all that high resolution but it is global in coverage. I wonder what the plans for intergrating Mars Express, and Mars Odyssey data are?

C

CalliArcale

I think Google is relying entirely on stuff already freely available on the Web, so that explains the resolution. Bear in mind, they don't even have ideal resolution all over Earth -- it varies depending on what was available for a given region.<br /><br />But oooh, what it'll look like in a few years when they've got enough MRO data to flesh it out! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

* You can choose between Visible (Gray scale only), Elevation (color coded, false colors, MOLA data), and Infrared.<br /><br />* No landmarks are labeled unless you search. The links to the left of the search box trigger and immediate search. All search results are shown in the map with a simple balloon. No text is provided in the map. Click the balloon or the link in the search results to see the text.<br /><br />* Google Earth supports substituting Mars or the Moon for Earth if you installed it prior to Google buying Keyhole. I do not know if they used the same imagery. They might have.<br /><br />* At first glance, Olympus Mons looks like a crater in infrared. However, it is an optical illusion.<br /><br />* Check out the link I found in the Google Mars FAQs. http://themis.asu.edu/valles_video. It includes a video with a fly through of the Google Earth showing Mars and print screen stills. It would appear that Google Earth may be providing Mars for the rest of us (those not included above) soon. The LA basin is shown in one still as an overlay on top of Mars. Please do not assume it is in the data. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

L

lbiderman

Also Google said that they are working in an interface like Google Earth for Mars, that would be awsome! I wonder if they could update it with new images from the Mars Express and MRO

C

chebby

Google Map Directions, 2030:<br /><br />From: 555 commonwealth st, Boston, MA, USA, Earth<br />To: Gustav Crater, MARS<br />Advanced Options: <br /> use highways: NO<br /> use gravity assist: NO <br /> wait for best ofbit: YES<br /><br /><br />....Approximate travel time 8 months, 4 days, 13 hours

L

lbiderman

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>I think he meant the standalone Google Earth (as opposed to the internet version.) <br />http://earth.google.com/images/macscreenshot.jpg <br />It's much cooler then the web version.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br /> Yes! that's what I ment! I heard that Google is working on it, but who knows when it will see light....

W

willpittenger

Not really. The currently downloadable version of GE only handles Earth. However, you might want to check out the Mars forum at the GE BBS. The good news is that the forum uses the same software. The bad news is that the forum is a different version and has different tags. With images, you must inline them. Images can **not** be attached. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts