Granite origin mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2021
Granite is found only on Earth. It was not found either in meteorites or on other "planets" of the solar system. Officially it is unknown why. I suppose, it is because the Earth is the largest object in the Universe, with the greatest gravity and pressure in the subsoil.
The role of granites in the structure of the upper shells of the Earth is enormous, but unlike magmatic rocks of the basic composition (gabbro, basalt, anorthosite, norite, troctolite), analogs of which are common on the Moon and terrestrial planets, this rock is found only on our planet and has not yet been established among meteorites or on other planets of the solar system. Among geologists there is an expression "Granite is the calling card of the Earth".
Links to quote source in russian (did not find the same in english):
1) https://beversmarmyr.com.ua/articles/istoriya-formirovaniya-granita
2) https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гранит#Проблема_происхождения_гранитов

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Well, Earth is certainly not the largest object in the Universe, in spite of your "theory". That would seem to deny the basis of your argument.

Have a good day.
The link in post #1 goes back to a previous post. The link shows the proto-earth is at least 20,000 km in diameter and the diameter of the universe is about one-light minute across or 0.12 au using the modern, heliocentric solar system scale for the astronomical unit and speed of light defined as c. Given that starting point, the earth could be the largest object in a universe only 0.12 au in diameter or perhaps, some other objects could be slightly larger. Such a scale for the proto-earth and universe is nothing like the modern heliocentric solar system astronomy or sizes and distances determined via redshift conversion, stellar parallax measurements do not support this small universe size either.

One problem with granites, I know of various reports indicating certain radio halos are found in them indicating short times of crystallization and formation for many granites. This is documented now for some 40 years or so.

Catastrophe

Approaching asteroid? Is this THE one?
Feb 18, 2020
Rod,
If magma is trapped underground in an igneous intrusion, it cools slowly because it is insulated by the surrounding rock. Crystals have more time to grow to larger size.

Wiki gives:
Granite ( /ˈɡrænɪt/) is a coarse-grained igneous rock composed mostly of quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase. It forms from magma with a high content of silica and alkali metal oxides that slowly cools and solidifies underground. It is common in the Earth's continental crust, where it is found in various kinds of igneous intrusions. These range in size from dikes only a few inches across to batholiths exposed over hundreds of square kilometers.

I was under the impression that crystal size depended on time of growth. Thus granite, "that slowly cools and solidifies underground" must have larger crystals.

Can you produce the documentation to the contrary?

There is microgranite:

Microgranite - OpenLearn - Open University
www.open.edu › openlearn › science › geology › micr...

27 Sept 2006 — Microgranite is the medium-grained equivalent of granite. The crystals are slightly smaller than granite indicating that the magma cooled more quickly. It usually occurs in smaller intrusions than granite. Microgranite forms from magma that contains a lot of quartz (silica).

. . . . . . . . . but, as you see, this has a different name.

Cat :)

Last edited:

rod

Oct 22, 2019
FYI crystal size is different than radiohalo size and polonium halos documented. This is well documented concerning the origin of granites now in various sources from 40 years or so. From some sources, "Granite rocks exhibit mysterious black spheres, known as radiohalos...and granite formation—was extremely rapid in the past."

Catastrophe

Feb 18, 2020
Wiki gives:

Intrusive igneous rocks make up the majority of igneous rocks and are formed from magma that cools and solidifies within the crust of a planet. Bodies of intrusive rock are known as intrusions and are surrounded by pre-existing rock (called country rock). The country rock is an excellent thermal insulator, so the magma cools slowly, and intrusive rocks are coarse-grained (phaneritic). The mineral grains in such rocks can generally be identified with the naked eye. Intrusions can be classified according to the shape and size of the intrusive body and its relation to the bedding of the country rock into which it intrudes. Typical intrusive bodies are batholiths, stocks, laccoliths, sills and dikes. Common intrusive rocks are granite, gabbro, or diorite.

The central cores of major mountain ranges consist of intrusive igneous rocks. When exposed by erosion, these cores (called batholiths) may occupy huge areas of the Earth's surface.

Intrusive igneous rocks that form at depth within the crust are termed plutonic (or abyssal) rocks and are usually coarse-grained. Intrusive igneous rocks that form near the surface are termed subvolcanic or hypabyssal rocks and they are usually much finer-grained, often resembling volcanic rock.[8] Hypabyssal rocks are less common than plutonic or volcanic rocks and often form dikes, sills, laccoliths, lopoliths, or phacoliths.

Maybe we have a semantic problem.

You stated:
"One problem with granites, I know of various reports indicating certain radio halos are found in them indicating short times of crystallization and formation for many granites. "

What you are talking aboout seem to be a very small proportion of granites. You state "problem with granites" and I think this refers to a small proportion of granites with their own distinctive name. You finish (this quote) with "many granites". I do not believe that many granites have small crystals.

May I remind you of the start of the Wiki quote:
Granite - Wikipedia

Granite is a coarse-grained igneous rock

Last edited:

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Cat, there seems to be *transparency* problems in all of this :) From a source, "In granites all over the earth’s surface, we find polonium-210 radiohalos near uranium-238 sources at the centers of uranium radiohalos. Two rare conditions were required to form these polonium radiohalos. First, a constant flow of hot water within forming granites had to rapidly transport millions of decaying atoms from the uranium to the sites of the polonium radiohalos. Second, molten granite magma, where the radiohalos formed, had to crystallize and cool quickly—in a matter of days..."

Like the asteroid with various dates obtained for it, transparency is needed for the public :)

Catastrophe

Feb 18, 2020
Cat, there seems to be *transparency* problems in all of this :) From a source, "In granites all over the earth’s surface, we find polonium-210 radiohalos near uranium-238 sources at the centers of uranium radiohalos. Two rare conditions were required to form these polonium radiohalos. First, a constant flow of hot water within forming granites had to rapidly transport millions of decaying atoms from the uranium to the sites of the polonium radiohalos. Second, molten granite magma, where the radiohalos formed, had to crystallize and cool quickly—in a matter of days..."

Like the asteroid with various dates obtained for it, transparency is needed for the public :)
Geology is one of my interests - in my sequence cosmology, astronomy, planet formation, geology, so I am interested in your posts. Especially "a constant flow of hot water within forming granites".

I googled "In granites all over the earth’s surface, we find polonium-210 radiohalos near uranium-238 sources at the centers of uranium radiohalos" and found a csun thread containing:

"The only reasonable explanation for their origin is a recent, worldwide Flood. Indeed, the unique conditions required to form such spheres show us that radioactive decay—and granite formation—was extremely rapid in the past."
ALSO I googled "Granite rocks exhibit mysterious black spheres, known as radiohalos...and granite formation—was extremely rapid in the past
"
Radiohalos—Solving the Mystery of the Missing ... - CSUN
www.csun.edu › ~vcgeo005 › Nr69Radiohalos

PDF
10 Jan 2021 — The only reasonable explanation for their origin is a recent, worldwide Flood.

I trust that this is not what you are suggesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: rod

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Cat, granites with these halos are not observed and reported forming today so they formed under very different conditions apparently than the present. We do not see meteorite matter evolving into new life on Earth today either but meteor dust is a daily accumulation. This thread raised the issue of granites and I find that intriguing, especially when it comes to the Moon, asteroids, meteoroids, and planets like Mars. There maybe granite on Mars recently reported, https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-find-evidence-granite-mars/

How different Mars granites (if confirmed) are from Earth's I do not know. Still interesting.

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Cat, granites with these halos are not documented forming today so when they did form (in the past), conditions were different than the present. The link you provide does not contradict this, including the conclusion presented. I did not see one reference where modern granites are documented forming today with these halos. Neither did I see any documentation showing asteroids and meteor dust is observed evolving into new life on Earth today. The origin of granites is interesting as the thread here opened with. There is nothing in your link that contradicts what I said in post #9. Keep in mind Cat, your link provides this timeline for the halos to form (repeated), "That is, nearly instantaneous precipitation of polonium is not required. This diffusion may occur over, say, 10,000 years or more as repeated earthquakes fracture the rock to keep the rock in an open system for diffusion of elements (ions)."

Such a statement shows the formation of granites with these short lived halos has not been observed in the present, forming. I consider this a transparent observation :)

Last edited:

rod

Oct 22, 2019
May I ask why these appeared in your refs?

Radiohalos—Solving the Mystery of the Missing ... - CSUN
www.csun.edu › ~vcgeo005 › Nr69Radiohalos

PDF
10 Jan 2021 — The only reasonable explanation for their origin is a recent, worldwide Flood.

I could just as easily ask you Cat, why the asteroid with the stuff of life reported, you did not show the various ages found for that asteroid and grains on it. I use a variety of sources, not just space.com is my answer.

Catastrophe

Feb 18, 2020
Rod, you ask:
" why the asteroid with the stuff of life reported, you did not show the various ages found for that asteroid and grains on it."
I answered as follows (in that thread):
" I was pointing out that any dust on any asteroid does not automatically give rise to life. I am well aware that ingredients on some asteroids might have been involved in the origins of life."

Now will you please answer my question, or are we to expect further prevarication?

Do you believe this from the references you provided?
"The only reasonable explanation for their origin is a recent, worldwide Flood."

Car :)

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Rod, you ask:
" why the asteroid with the stuff of life reported, you did not show the various ages found for that asteroid and grains on it."
I answered as follows (in that thread):
" I was pointing out that any dust on any asteroid does not automatically give rise to life. I am well aware that ingredients on some asteroids might have been involved in the origins of life."

Now will you please answer my question, or are we to expect further prevarication?

Do you believe this from the references you provided?
"The only reasonable explanation for their origin is a recent, worldwide Flood."

Car :)

Cat what I said in post #9 is clear. I consider granites with polonium halos *objects* that formed in the past and cannot be seen forming today so they formed *under different conditions than the present*. Specifically how they formed should be easy to test by recreating granites with halos in them in the labs. Asteroids come with dates that affect the evolution narrative of time and how evolutionary events are reconstructed. You should show all the various ages found for asteroids and meteorites, not just some age measurements (transparency is needed here I feel). Most asteroids that are dated back 4.5 billion years, need at a minimum, one billion or more revolutions around the Sun based upon the heliocentric solar system (difficult to test and show is true). So my post #9 is sufficient answer.

FYI. Post #1 opened up with "Granite is found only on Earth. It was not found either in meteorites or on other "planets" of the solar system. Officially it is unknown why. "

I find this interesting and so far have not seen much reporting on granites on the Moon, granites in asteroids or meteorites, etc. A 2013 report of possible granite on Mars but this still seems in need of more testing and verification perhaps. This is why I pointed out the halos in granites found on Earth.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021
*under different conditions than the present*
1) Dinosaurs lived in different conditions, relatively fast change of which killed most of them.
2) Granites were formed during relatively fast change of conditions on the Earth.
3) Oil - same thing.
4) Siberian mammoths frozen into ice with the remains of undigested food in their stomachs.
5) Global flood legends among most of the world's indigenous peoples.

Mod Edit - Off Topic

Mod Edit - Off Topic

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
1) Dinosaurs lived in different conditions, relatively fast change of which killed most of them.
2) Granites were formed during relatively fast change of conditions on the Earth.
3) Oil - same thing.
4) Siberian mammoths frozen into ice with the remains of undigested food in their stomachs.
5) Global flood legends among most of the world's indigenous peoples.

Mod Edit - Off Topic

Mod Edit - Off Topic
So what exactly do these statements have to do with the topic of the thread? I don't see the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts