Great Novels About Exoplanet Colonization

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexHernandez

Can anyone suggest any great novels about colonizing extra solar planets? I was thinking along the lines of kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy only on a more alien planet on another solar system.

I've heard Stephen Baxter's book Ark fits the description, any others?

S

StarRider1701

AlexHernandez":1jrwxfne said:
Can anyone suggest any great novels about colonizing extra solar planets? I was thinking along the lines of kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy only on a more alien planet on another solar system.

I've heard Stephen Baxter's book Ark fits the description, any others?

Many authors have written books about living on other planets in other solar systems, but you're specifically looking for colonization: Heinlein - Tunnel in the Sky springs to mind first. In your library, check out Norton or Norse as many of thier older books aren't in bookstores.

Yev, your memory is better than mine, bet you can come up with something?

Y

yevaud

Larry Niven, the Legacy of Heorot
Robert Heinlein, Farmer in the Sky
Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover
Andre Norton, Ad Astra

All pretty good, if you ask me.

O

OleNewt

Greg Bear's The Way trilogy. Eon is the first book, but it isn't really focused on colonization (the other two are, though).

A

AlexHernandez

Thanks, guys, I'll hunt these down. Keep'em coming since I'm sure it'll be a while since I'm over my colonization kick.

C

Cosmicvoid

Not exactly "colonizing a planet", but similar, and worth a read:
Building Harlequin’s Moon by Niven & Cooper.

D

docm

Don't forget Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles

Dunno if you'd call it a series of short stories or an episodic novel, but when I was a kid it totally mesmerized me. A classic.

Also; Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts