Griffin: ISS not relevant for the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radarredux

From a recent interview, Griffin states that the space station is not relevant to the Lunar part of the VSE. He does, however, see it important to a Mars mission.<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><font color="yellow"><b>Q:</b> As long as you don't have to understand it for me! (laughter) How do you view station in the context of returning to the moon?</font><br /><br /><b>A:</b> Station is not relevant to the moon. That's why I said the order of the things we've done is not what I would have had it be as a technical person. That said, we'll use the station, maybe to check out hardware that will be used on a lunar base in the future. i think we can make some use of the station for our development of a lunar base in the longer run. But really, in my mind the station is far more useful in terms of thinking about Mars. Which gets back to my issue, we didn't get things in the right chronological order to get the maximum utility out of it.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts115/060815griffin/

D

docm

Some would say the ISS hasn't been 'relevant' since the day it was proposed :p<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Sad but oh too true.<br />If it had been built on time, with the proper staff and facilities that might have been different.<br />Now, it's , I fear, too little, too late. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

steve82

"maybe to check out hardware that will be used on a lunar base in the future"<br /><br />I think one of the worst things we could do for producing hardware for the moon is to put the ISS in the critical path of it's testing and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts