Guide to BBCode including posting of images

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

Some users here who are not used to BBCode (the code used in posts on all PhpBB forums and now at Space.com and Live Science) have been having a few problems with the code, particularly with regard to posting images. So I thought I'd post a link to an easy to understand guide (easiest I've seen actually, although there are other guides elsewhere online,) written by Dutchie, my fellow admin at the website we both run along with a couple of other guys. All the code he explains applies equally here at SDC / Live Science as our own board is PhpBB as well. Here's the link to Dutchie's guide:

http://www.larger-than-life.org/modules ... ode=bbcode

Note: For the posting of images, it is always best practice to save any pictures you wish to post on any of several hosting services that are available, (many of which are free to use) then link to the url there in your posts. This gives you more control over your images. If you just link to the picture direct at its original site and that website crashes, becomes defunct or the image is moved or deleted by the webmaster, your picture will no longer display in your post. (Or posts if you have the same picture posted on several boards.)

I personally use Photobucket myself - for free you get 1 gig of space. I've been using it for a couple of years and as I write I have over 1000 images there being displayed in various forums and so far I've only used 65mb (about 6%.)

Thanks btw to Nimbus for providing this list of links to several hosting sites in another thread:

http://www.flickr.com (Flickr provides unlimited space for a subscription of about $25 per year)
http://www.photobucket.com
http://www.imageshack.us
http://imgur.com/
http://xs.to

Btw, videos can also be hosted on at least some of the above sites, including Photobucket.

Have fun everyone and good luck! :mrgreen:

S

SpeedFreek

Some excellent advice and links there Smersh!

The FAQ here at SDC is actually pretty useful too.

aliensfoldsfivelq1.gif

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx Smersh, that helped. For some reason the Img tool sometimes forgets the / on the second Once I add that, it works fine.
Muchas Gracias!
Of course, when I tried it here, it worked fine!
Or not..sigh

[img]http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

S

Smersh

Thanks guys and you're very welcome.

Thanks for the link to the SDC FAQ as well Speedfreek. As we now have all this together in one thread hopefully it will prove useful for people to refer to. :D

(Edted to correct spelling of Speefreek's user name)

B

BoJangles2

The link dosnt work for me, says invalid ip, maybe you should post the important parts.

S

Smersh

Hmmm .... not sure why you're seeing that error, unless maybe your ip unfortunately just happens to fall within the protected range of our Nuke Sentinel software. Or if you're on a proxy isp might be the problem. Sorry bout that.

For me to copy that BBCode from that link into a post would require a whole bunch of HTML, (otherwise the code would work and nobody would see how to do it) at which I'm no good at I'm afraid. Here's the BBCode for inserting images anyway. Example url of image follows with opening and closing "img" tag at each end showing the correct syntax for a post entry. (Also, clicking the "Img" button from the icon at the top of the post field would generate the tags, between which the Photobucket or whatever url should go.) Thanks again to Nimbus for this ...

Code:
[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/smersh_photos/McCoy.jpg[/IMG]

If those tags were put into a post with that url as I'm now about to do, and not enclosed in HTML as above, the following image would be displayed from my Photobucket album:

McCoy.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

I'd really like to see a list of the BBCode that SDC has activated for use by regular forum goers. All BBCode isn't accessible.

There IS this if you click on the BBCode link in the right-hand panel when composing a post but.. is that all that is usable?

faq.php?mode=bbcode

S

Smersh

a_lost_packet_":qm3nv0a2 said:
I'd really like to see a list of the BBCode that SDC has activated for use by regular forum goers. All BBCode isn't accessible.

There IS this if you click on the BBCode link in the right-hand panel when composing a post but.. is that all that is usable?

faq.php?mode=bbcode

Hmmm ... that's actually the same code and described in the same way as shown in the link I gave in my op, which I have to admit I didn't know existed (that link you gave, that is.) . All that should work and in fact I''m not sure if there actually is anything more than that, is there? Anything beyond that possibly requires use of HTML or something. (Unless as you suggest, only parts of it have been activated.)

So sorry Dutchie if you're reading this, seems you didn't write that article as I assumed, that I linked in my op after all and I now officially wish to retract all references of a credit to you. :twisted:

Good isn't it? I don't even know what's going on at my own website. :roll:

:lol:

A

a_lost_packet_

Smersh":29i1hr3n said:
a_lost_packet_":29i1hr3n said:

faq.php?mode=bbcode

Hmmm ... that's actually the same code and described in the same way as shown in the link I gave in my op, which I have to admit I didn't know existed (that link you gave, that is.) . All that should work and in fact I''m not sure if there actually is anything more than that, is there? Anything beyond that possibly requires use of HTML or something. (Unless as you suggest, only parts of it have been activated.)

So sorry Dutchie if you're reading this, seems you didn't write that article as I assumed, that I linked in my op after all and I now officially wish to retract all references of a credit to you. :twisted:

Good isn't it? I don't even know what's going on at my own website. :roll:

:lol:

It's probably quotes just from the main BBCode listings. bbcode.org or phpbb's website

As far as what works, there are some BBCodes that are nonfunctional. I played around with a few the other night and some were obviously turned off. Of the ones I would like to be activated, the text formatting ones would be most helpful - ie: justifying/left/right/center etc..

S

Smersh

a_lost_packet_":215ofh0s said:
... As far as what works, there are some BBCodes that are nonfunctional. I played around with a few the other night and some were obviously turned off. Of the ones I would like to be activated, the text formatting ones would be most helpful - ie: justifying/left/right/center etc..

I just checked again on the SDC BBCode link (which is definitely identical to the one at my site) and justifying text is not showing there. Everything showing at the link seems to work (I checked by starting a post and previewing, then not posting it.) Text colours, size, ordered and unordered list, etc etc - all seem ok. All I could see listed there was the following:

Text Formatting
How to create bold, italic and underlined text
How to change the text colour or size
Can I combine formatting tags?

Quoting and outputting fixed-width text
Quoting text in replies
Outputting code or fixed width data

Generating lists
Creating an Unordered list
Creating an Ordered list

Creating Links
Linking to another site

Showing images in posts
Adding an image to a post
Adding attachments into a post

Finally, this ...

Other matters
Can I add my own tags?

If you are an administrator on this board and have the proper permissions, you can add further BBCodes through the Custom BBCodes section.

So that must be for the tags that are not shown on the help screen by the looks.

Oh btw, showing code in a post without actioning it is easy I just discovered. Just put a
Code:
 tag at each end. (Outputting code or fixed width data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts