Had an idea about how gravity works (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

and_then

Sorry. This is LONG but I would really like to hear some thoughts on this idea I had. This would be better with graphics, but I am no artist - so maybe it really wouldn't. <br /><br /><br />For some time I have been unable to completely accept certain basic theories of Physics pertaining to gravity and other principle interactions. Recently I saw a presentation of The Elegant Universe in which a visual aid was used in explaining the way in which objects of substantial gravity warp space-time (the image was that of sun and an orbiting planet causing a trampoline-like deformation in an otherwise two-dimensional grid) and how other objects of gravity are then caught in that deformation. <br /><br />When grasping behavior characteristics of Physics, I generally try to form graphical models in my own mind that are as accurate as possible in how a situation scales up to more complex/all-inclusive perspectives. So, realizing the limitations of that model, I tried to view a similar two-dimensional “sun†object that is located within the same two-dimensional grid. However instead of having the grid warp to represent gravity’s effect, I imagined individual dots (or pixels - infinitely small points) organized around my sun, with the density of those dots at any given region representing the strength of the effect of gravity in that region. <br /><br />With my sun and the simulated effects of its gravitational field established in my model, I then included the additional complexity of an orbiting earth, also including it’s own gradient of gravity dots. <br /><br />Viewing this model, it quickly becomes apparent that there is the greatest concentration of these gravity dots along the straight line connecting the sun and earth. So I noted the possibility that these gravity particles could potentially form a “chain†or “glue,†attracting each other more strongly as they become more densely packed. This pulling force would then extend from the sun to the earth delivering the

R

robnissen

1. Your "grass" speculation has many similarities to the "aether" theory disproved about 100 years ago.<br /><br />2. Black holes do not spew from within the event horizon, only jets from outside the event horizon.<br /><br />3. While I think your speculation is all wet (see item 1), you missed the more interesting application for it. Namely, it would provide a partial explanation for dark energy.

V

vogon13

Gravity is an illusion.<br /><br />The earth sucks.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

O

origin

According to you a photon propogates through the 'grass', correct? That would mean that in an area of high gravity the grass concentration would be lower wouldn't this mean that the velocity of the light should change even if this high gravity area is in a vacuum.<br /><br />Also you said the area of lowest concentration of the grass is a direct line between 2 bodies, again shouldn't there be some measureable affects on light when it passes through that area.<br /><br />Finally, in your idea of gravity why does light bend around a massive object even in a vacuum.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">The universe has proven time and time again to be very simple-natured...once we see past our own complicated explanations.</font><br />Huh? Could you cite an example of this.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts