Half silvered mirror experiment, Quantum Mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BoJangles2

What was the popularised name for that experiment where they set up half silvered mirrors? I.e. send a photon into a half slivered mirror then combined them into another half silvered mirror.
I'm trying to find information on it, and running into all sorts of problems through Google.

A) What was the popularised name for the experiment?
B) What was the understanding of it? How is it explained/Justified? What does it prove?

I’ve been watching the Feynman NZ lectures, and he says to me in certain terms that a photon is a particle, not wave, nothing to do with a wave. In fact the whole 3 lectures are about just that, the corpuscle of light, is this still the current understanding?.

Can anyone point me to a video on just this experiment, or at least some detailed explanation?

L

leon2049

from what i understand, could you possibly be reffering to a variation of the double slit experiment?

as that is where the wave properties of matter become exposed. from what iv understood about this experiment is that a photon is a point particle but you dont really know where it is. you estimate more or less where it might be and you calculate the probabilities of where it might be useing a wave function. i have no idea how this is done or i might have confused the concept with somthing else, but im pretty sure thats how it was explained to me. (youtube told me ;D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts