Half the matter in the universe was missing. Scientists just found it hiding in the cosmos.

The LCDM computer simulations used in BB cosmology - looks like time to modify. How such simulations could be accurate explaining galaxy evolution before this normal matter discover was documented, seems a bit odd :)

This looks like confirmation, by another means, of previous work on the "missing baryon problem".

It does not appear to be unique "news" in the strictest sense, except using FRBs to detect it.

But, confirmation is always nice!

Also found in WHIM :

and also:

Last edited:
M

michael3

There is no actual evidence of missing matter or of dark energy or dark matter. Until someone comes up with proof of the dark energy and dark matter, the whole missing matter estimates are a thin reed hanging by a thread of perhaps math. The whole missing regular mass assumes the estimates of regular matter are accurate yet that is simply an assumption. If more matter is black holes for example or non ionized gas we would simply be unable to detect it so the jump to dark matter, the 5 percent and so forth. This effort did not confirm anything as it is based on a whole bunch of assumptions which are themselves not proved

M

michael3

All this work does not prove a thing, it is simply computer models based on thin reeds of observations supported by perhaps math. We are unable to detect any low mass black holes or ones very far away unless they are really really really large and are interacting with matter. We cannot detect non ionized gases at all nor low mass non glowing regular matter like the suspected cloud of matter around our sun outside of the the outer orbit of Pluto unless it is a very large object. No such matter could be detected around any near star much less stars in other galaxies. Nobody has any idea of the amount of non ionized matter floating around outside of stars. The whole dark matter, dark energy is simply a mathematical plug to fix the math assumptions on the gravitational attraction of near by galaxies and this one. Before running out and patting ourselves on the back it would be prudent to remember we have little actual data on most of this galaxies detail much less others.

L

Leothelion

So, a very fundamental question has bothered me for a long time. I'll just leave it here. If dark matter/dark energy exists, why is it the matter NEVER blocks out any stars/galaxies/etc. Either I'm not understanding the subject sufficiently, or something is very wrong with the theory. Seems to me the missing matter could easily be accounted for in the lesser understod black hole/wormhole/mini black holes/other gravitational anomalies which may be hiding the mass from observation. Not to mention unobservable asteroid clusters, etc, etc. Might be a good time for astrophysicists to simply say "we don't know yet", rather than writing unending articles about theories like they are semi-fact.

S

Sal Mangano

So, a very fundamental question has bothered me for a long time. I'll just leave it here. If dark matter/dark energy exists, why is it the matter NEVER blocks out any stars/galaxies/etc. Either I'm not understanding the subject sufficiently, or something is very wrong with the theory. Seems to me the missing matter could easily be accounted for in the lesser understod black hole/wormhole/mini black holes/other gravitational anomalies which may be hiding the mass from observation. Not to mention unobservable asteroid clusters, etc, etc. Might be a good time for astrophysicists to simply say "we don't know yet", rather than writing unending articles about theories like they are semi-fact.
Dark matter is “dark“ because it does not interact with the electromagnetic field. Therefore it can’t block anything visible. It is analogous to neutrinos but can’t be neutrinos either.

M

Malheiros

<<Religious comment deleted by moderator>>

Dark matter is not gluing stars and galaxies... it is gluing the brain of scientists that are too proud to admit that they know very little about the Universe mechanics...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts