Has the European Space Agency launched HYPER yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

In my research on universal spin on Ask the Astronomer (thread with that theme locked, other threads have relevant posts) Serak posted a link which referred to:<br /><br />The intention to launch (from 7/14/02 New Scientist) a cold atom gyro called HYPER into space, with the aim of measuring whether any rotation is associated with the Earth's gravitational field. <br /><br />This was meant to test the Einstein's theory that nearby space is dragged around by earth's rotation (spin).<br /><br />Any evidence yet pro or con?

R

rocketman5000

I'll have to dig up the article. But there was something on SDC about data that has been collected and needs to be analyzed to test Einstien's theory<br />

B

barrykirk

NASA launched Gravity Probe B a while back to measure frame dragging.<br /><br />How does this HYPER experiment differ?

N

newtonian

BarryKirk - I don't know yet if Hyper is Gravity probe B.<br /><br />But I doubt it. <br /><br />Did said probe contain a cold atom gyro called HYPER?

N

newtonian

Alpha_Centauri - Thank you.<br /><br />I hope they do launch it in view of the increased data we could have with instruments more sensitive than any that have been launched before.<br /><br />After all, we would all benefit from more accurate information on how our universe works!

A

alpha_centauri

That's alright.<br /><br />In the in depth section it states that the expected launch date is jan-2020!!!<br /><br />I suspect the idea is to use the time to develop technology capable of more accurate measurements.

N

newtonian

Alpha_Centauri - Thank you again. <br /><br />I haven't had time yet to read the link in depth.<br /><br />Guess there is no rush!

Status
Not open for further replies.