Have a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

babolu

Ok, so, excuse my spelling too, I've had a question thats been bothering me latly and it got to the point where I would like to see everyone elses thoughts. I am to beileve that mater experiences an increase of relative mass as its average velocity increases, is that correct? Or is it only when that mass approaches the realm of 3e^8? Also, does not time it self slow down (relative to earth) as velocity increases? Well, since our galaxy, the milky way, is moving at around 600km/s plus the speed of hte earth around the sun, plus its rotational speed....then is our time and mass relative to an absolute point in space where velocity is 0 (assuming there is such a point) slower and greaters respectivly? Maybe the answer is out there and I havnt been diligent enough to search. Anyone have any ideas? <br />Thankx

H

harmonicaman

It's all relative! Everything is based on your point of reference. From our reference point, we are at point "0"; every other point in space also has it's own unique perspective --- as if they are also at point "0".<br /><br />Relativistic length contraction tutorial.<br /><br />Some relativity formulas.

D

derekmcd

<font color="orange">I am to beileve that mater experiences an increase of relative mass as its average velocity increases, is that correct?</font><br /><br />Yes. Relatively, as in from the observers point of view. As I observe an object prior to it's acceleration it has what is referred to as "rest mass". That rest mass will always remain the same according to me. As that object accelerates away from me it will gain mass and experience time dilation. At lower speeds, these effects are almost indeterminable, however observable here.<br /><br /><font color="orange">then is our time and mass relative to an absolute point in space where velocity is 0 (assuming there is such a point) slower and greaters respectivly?</font><br /><br />Basically, yes. However, there is nowhere in space that has a zero velocity. YOU, as the observer, are the only place where you can reference zero velocity.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

babolu

Thanx, I was always wondering that for awhile....I was also wondering...if the space in our galaxy, near to earth, is not a point of absolute zero velocity and is therefore moving, it needs to have mass or energy to propigate. If the space that surmizes our galaxy has, even a negliable amount of mass (enough that it can move with out galaxy) then wouldnt that medium, our termed ethreal (haha) experiences a mass gain relative to a 0 velocity...and therefore, could that mass also affect the speed of light through the medium and perhaps the speed of light is not a constant outside of our galaxy(ies) because it is not in a vacume? Is this making sence? It is very hard for me to state my questions logically...I am taking an energy course and we are coming onto allot of these things and they are fasciniating...i might change my major to particle physics because of these unexplained phenomenon. Thanx for your replies.

H

harmonicaman

<i>It is very hard for me to state my questions logically...</i><br /><br />And trying to answer relativity questions is also very difficult, for several reasons:<br /><br />1. The concepts are usually counter-intuitive.<br /><br />2. You have to be precise with your wording (while also keeping it simple, to the point and accurate).<br /><br />3. The maths are formidable.<br /><br />4. The classical Einsteinian model of the universe (Theory of Relativity and Special Relativity) is not universally accepted (although it has repeatedly passed muster through experiment or observation).<br /><br />But attempting to formulate cogent questions and answers does force one to think in a clear and logical manner and this will ultimately improve your overall communication skills.<br /><br /><i>...and therefore, could that mass also affect the speed of light through the medium and perhaps the speed of light is not a constant outside of our galaxy(ies) because it is not in a vacuum?</i><br /><br />Let's take the case of the photon, which travel's at "c" velocities (the speed of light). Since it's travelling at "c", it does not experience the passage of time, from its perspective; although from our relative perspective we observe some photons to be billions of years old!<br /><br />Since the photon is both created an annihilated at the same instant, from its perspective, there is no "Time " available for "m" (mass) to effect a photon's velocity.<br /><br />Now let's look at "m". Mass is static -- all the "m" (and "E", energy) in the Universe was created during the Big Bang event and it does not change <sup>(1.)</sup>. The expanding space and time in the universe must curve around all the static mass and the manifestation of this conflict is observed as gravity. Gravity is simply the curvature of space and time as it expands around static mass. <br /><br />So, the mass in the universe cannot effect the velocity of the photon or "c", but it does cause space and time itself to be curved.<br /><br />

B

babolu

Thanks Harm, I really enjoy your replies...I find it so interesting... I guess it all boils down to relativity and an extreme lack of knowledge. I don't think I'll be switching my major anytime soon though. <br />I like Biomedical Engineering well enough and there are plenty of fronteirs to be explored in the field ( and lots of moeny).<br /> I've also always thought how can we begin to understand the entire universe if don't even understand our own bodies? Haha, I like this little analogy I thought of; its like looking at a simple algebra problem and instead of solving the math, your wondering about the crystalographic structure of the paper, which is much more complex....kind of irelevant, but yeah. <br />What is it that you do harm? How are you so versed in this subject...do you advise any interesting courses I could take to satisfy my curiosities?

H

harmonicaman

I worked for several at years at Syracuse University and was part of the high energy physics engineering team that designed and built the Cleo II Muon Detector Array for the Wilson Synchrotron at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. <br /><br />I also design other physics toys; including various types of harmonographs which create unique continuous curve drawings by utilizing the coupled motion of rotating pendulums. My specialty is creating anagraphic (3D) drawings, but I haven't put any of these online yet -- I'm still experimenting with how best to present the stereoptic images for viewing... <br /><br />I currently drive truck because it's great money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts