Help I'm Clueless and don't want to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pinkflyd3

Ok, I hope someone has patience for me.I just got a meade telescope ds2130ats with the automatic tracker thing. Seems nice will point to most anything in the sky. <br />How in the world do i deciper what i need to look at the objects in the sky? this is want i have.<br />I got a barlow 2x lens <br />9.7mm<br />4mm<br />26mm<br />32mm<br />15mm<br />6mm<br />9mm<br /> and about 7 color filters. Its a kit by celestron.<br /><br />Last question. What does all this mean? <br />Is there anything there i can type into my digital thing on my keypad and see these objects?<br /><br />Planetary Nebula <br />NGC 7293, PNG 036.1-57.1, PK 036-57.1, ARO 17 <br />Visual Magnitude: 7.6 <br />Magnitude of Central Star: 13.4 <br />Apparent Diameter: 32.7' <br />Distance: 530 ly <br />Minimum requirements to view: binoculars or any telescope and very dark sky<br />

T

tfwthom

Oh boy....the #494 Autostar handbox......I've only used one once....about 4 years ago.....they don't have the number keys that the #497 or the Autostar II have. You have to scroll to everything. Real pain.<br /><br />Easy way is to watch the instructional videos that Meade has on their website. http://www.meade.com/educational/index.html since I'm not standing next to you to show you how to work it this is going to be the best way.<br /><br />NGC 7293 is the Helix Neb so it should be in the handbox somewhere. I'm thinking Object...enter...Deep Space....enter....Named Objects...enter...Helix Neb...enter....Go To OR maybe NGC Objects...enter...arrow key to move curser scroll number to 7 arrow key, scroll to 2 arrow key scroll to 9 arrow key and scroll to 2.<br /><br />Been awhile <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

M

mental_avenger

The ds2130ats kit contains a Newtonian Reflector 1000mm f/7.9 Meade Telescope. I have an older Meade Schmidt Cassegrain 1000mm which is an f/10. These scopes both contain a 5 inch mirror. The Newtonian has the eyepiece on the side, whereas the SC has the eyepiece in the center of the back, looking through a hole in the main mirror.<br /><br />Eyepieces. The smaller the number (mm) of the eyepiece, the larger the magnification. For the Meade 1000mm telescope, if you are using a 20mm eyepiece you would be viewing at 50 power (1000/20=50).<br />If you are using a 6mm eyepiece you would be viewing at 167 power (1000/20=6). You will probably find that using less magnification will give you better viewing for nebulas. Try the nebula in Orion for starters. It is easy to find and should show up well in your scope.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

On the eyepieces:<br /><br />As mental says, the smaller the eyepiece, the higher the magnification. The number given, and the unit, is the focal length of the eyepiece. <br /><br />So a 9.7mm eyepiece has a 9.7mm focal length.<br /><br />To find the magnification of any image, divide the focal length of the telescope, by the focal length of the eyepiece.<br /><br /><br />Anyway, the general approach to using a telescope is to start with a large eyepiece just to locate the area the object is in.<br /><br />Once you have the propsective region centered, switch to a medium size eyepiece (somewhere around 15mm). Normally, this is where you'd stop because higher magnification begins to give worse images after a bit. It's sorta like getting way to close to a TV screen. Sure, it's bigger, but it's blurrier.<br /><br />If you want to try, you can push to smaller eyepieces.<br /><br />Using a 2x barlow is, in my experience, rarely worth it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

pinkflyd3

Hey,<br /><br />thanks for the replies. I get it now. I just have to use it in the field. Wish me luck. The weather here in Philly has been awful.

M

mental_avenger

Astronomy Viewing is a good general guide to beginners in astronomy. It may help you understand some of the things involved in seeing and viewing astronomical objects. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.