Help with first telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phyrewolf

I recently bought my first telepscope. It works great on the moon, but when I look at anything that is distant I see the shadow of the internal mirror. How can I fix this?<br />Thanks

H

harmonicaman

Yes, there are some telescope experts in here who will undoubtedly be able to solve your problem.<br /><br />What is the make and model of your telescope?<br /><br />Are there any undesirable light sources where you are viewing, such as a street light, that could be illuminating the inside of the tube?<br /><br />Describe in a little bit more detail the "Shadow" you are seeing.<br /><br />Does this shadow appear with all your eyepieces and also when using a Barlow lens?

P

phyrewolf

there is very little ambient or undesireable light sources. The telescope is a baytronix reflector style telescope. The shadow is from a 3 spoked bracket that holds the small mirror.

H

harmonicaman

Found this here:<br /><br />Q: Why does there appear to be a black circle in the middle of my image when I look at a star or planet? <br /><br />A: If you can see the shadow of the secondary mirror and <b>spider vanes in the eyepiece,</b> the scope is not focused. As you move the focuser, the image should get smaller until you reach a point where the shadow disappears. This image is now in focus. If you continue turning the knob, the shadow returns and the image starts getting larger, you have passed focus and need to turn the knob in the opposite direction. If you want to make the focused image larger, you will need to use a higher power eyepiece.<br /><br />So it might just be a focusing issue! <br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.