Here's where planetary science is going in the next decade

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Why does it have to be "planetary science", never "planetology"? Why "black hole", not "black pit"? Why "rogue planet", a ridiculous name, not "lone-wolf planet", as I suggested a few weeks ago? Why "social media", not "digital platforms", which is what they are? Why say "gonna", "haveta", "musta", "shoulda", "wanna", and sound like a street lout, a hooligan, a barbarian and an inbreeding KKK redneck??

Last edited:

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Starcrow, you have to hit the IAU, not us, for matters of nomenclature.

1. For the General Public:

Queries and questions from the public on IAU-related matters can be sent to the email below. We kindly ask you to use English only. Please check our FAQ first if there may an answer there. Note that we unfortunately do not have the human resources to answer emails about specific astronomical topics. However, there are several websites that can give you detailed information if you post a question.

You may also contact the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach at:
    Email: public@oao.iau.org

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Starcrow
Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
I sent them a message about the inadequate terms they have foisted on us and added that they should stop naming asteroids after living persons because that's a horribly self-serving thing to do, and that since some have the names of people on astronomy magazine staffs this leads one to suspect that the magazines bribed the IAU, and if they don't stop that racket then my doubts about their decency will be corroborated. This will either scare them or make them laugh.

I ask them why they respect comets but not asteroids and say that comets are not more special than the space rocks and they're not even dirty snowballs because Whipple was shown to be mistaken, and, furthermore, few comets put on a good show and are reliable, like Halley's Comet, which was nearly invisible in 1985, after keeping the world waiting for almost 80 years, and Comet Kohoutek played that same trick on us in the early 70s.

I'd like to suggest to those who might read this comment that they send a similar request so the IAU will stop messing around with the flying stones and maybe making money on the naming game.

Latest posts