Hezbollah now has scud missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimglenn

I would not worry too much, those are old, obsolete missiles, derived from the V2, which could hardly hit anything.

Notice the steering vanes in the exhaust, no one does it that way anymore. We have lasers that can shoot them
down, and Israel has the Iron Dome system of smart rockets.

Scud_8.jpg

B

bearack

Doesn't smart missiles and or most defense weapons needs a certain amount of time to make a lock on such a missile? Being launched in Lebanon would give much time to make such a lock.

R

rubicondsrv

well I dont think the scuds are at all a match for the arrow system, but iirc not all of isreal is protected, and many arrow components are US sourced, and the current political bunch here have started blocking American company from exporting weapons to Israel....so there is always a possibility of running out of interceptors, and as jim already mentioned, scuds are cheap, so its not completely unfeasible for Syria/Hezbollah to simply wear down Israeli missile defense capabilities by simply forcing them to expend all their missiles.

And despite the simple nature of scuds, they are a substantial improvement over the unguided rockets Hezbollah has used in the past.

B

Boris_Badenov

This could bring MTHEL into operation sooner rather than later. As for Hezbozo wearing Israeli defenses down, the way to mitigate that is to deliver a smack down on the lines of the 06' War. If you can't shut down the launchers, roll tanks onto the ground that they're being launched from until you've pushed them back too far to launch.

B

brandbll

They're probably still rebuilding parts of Beirut from the last idiotic conflict, so i wouldn't be too worried about these scuds.

B

Boris_Badenov

brandbll":vwwfd3rx said:
They're probably still rebuilding parts of Beirut from the last idiotic conflict, so i wouldn't be too worried about these scuds.
What??? Didn't the Hezbozo's win? :shock:

M

Mee_n_Mac

Why do I suspect Syria is doing this now so as to goad Israel into "rolling in the tanks", thus keeping them busy enough not to be able to deal with a nuclear Iran.

J

jimglenn

Lasers are deemed better, because you won't run out of rockets, which are hundreds of times more expensive

than the target pieces of junk. Just use photons. Solid state lasers exceed 100KW now, enough to smoke any
missile.

Target acq depends on tracking, could be 5-30 sec, I would guess.

250til.jpg

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/967338.html

V

vladdrac

During the last Iraq War several missiles landed in Israel. Yes, its junk, but a couple got past the 'Patriot' batteries. What would be the political economic consequences of a single nuke going off in Israel, midsection? The Mother of All Car Bombs!Origin unknowable for some time. Will Israel take revenge? Then what? Here lies a world destroyed by a real estate contract with their god?

B

brandbll

vladdrac":j13p5jf1 said:
During the last Iraq War several missiles landed in Israel. Yes, its junk, but a couple got past the 'Patriot' batteries. What would be the political economic consequences of a single nuke going off in Israel, midsection? The Mother of All Car Bombs!Origin unknowable for some time. Will Israel take revenge? Then what? Here lies a world destroyed by a real estate contract with their god?

Well i'm guessing Tehran and a few other large ME cities would be gone within hours compliments of Israel.

B

Boris_Badenov

vladdrac":3hhbvln8 said:
The Samson Option.

M

Mee_n_Mac

jimglenn":1jz8vpm9 said:
Lasers are deemed better, because you won't run out of rockets, which are hundreds of times more expensive

than the target pieces of junk. Just use photons. Solid state lasers exceed 100KW now, enough to smoke any
missile.

Target acq depends on tracking, could be 5-30 sec, I would guess.

250til.jpg

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/967338.html

Alas the lasers you speak of are not field tested weapons ... yet. And you'd need a lot of concentrated photons, on the target, to do the work required. Not so easy in the terminal phase when the target is going 3000 ft/sec and your tracking radar is 50 miles away from it. A miss of just a few feet is a total miss, probability of kill = 0. There's a reason why the ABL was designed to kill missiles in their boost phase.

And then there's the question of what the SCUDs are carrying. Is is a conventional warhead, nuke or perhaps some bio- or chem weapon. The latter 2 complicate things a bit since a kill low to the ground is just about what the weapon was intended to do. So to be effective the kill has to happen above 50,000 ft.

Boris is correct. If the Heze's start to "SCUD" Israel the Arrows will cut some down and then the tanks will roll. Maybe there will be peace in the Middle East in our lifetimes.

B

bearack

If any scud ever reaches the ground, stability in that region will be long forgotten. I think it will be an all out all or nothing deal. Israel knows that the Scuds supplied from Syria originated from Iran and this will be the final straw with the US now showing their anti Israel stance.

Not a good day in Israel these days losing your biggest alli!

D

dragon04

bearack":o2qjyeh8 said:

They've no one but themselves to blame for that.

M

MasterComposter

This is not a good development and cannot be written off with "Oh, heck, they can just shoot 'em down."

B

bearack

dragon04":oszt4l39 said:
bearack":oszt4l39 said:

They've no one but themselves to blame for that.

I would disagree in some regards. The world is the ones calling their capital a settlement. Granted, Israel could have done things differently, but in all honesty, dragon, do you think things would be different regardless how Israel acted? They still would be targets of the Arab world.

M

MasterComposter

Turns out Syria tricked Hezbollah --- gave 'em a Spud missile. Basically a glorified potato gun. Isreal should be able to take it out with its Tater Tot batteries. If not, they can make latkas out of the warheads.

D

dragon04

Spud missiles. Tater Tot Batteries. An Eye for an Eye, indeed.

D

dragon04

Actually, it's all a HUGE misunderstanding. The Chippendale Dancers were supposed to do a gig in Damascus and instead got routed to Hezzy HQ in Beirut.

"You Camel's Behind!!!! I said SCUD Missiles, not STUD Missiles!!!!

M

Mee_n_Mac

You're correct it's all a huge misunderstanding ... but it's because texting is a prevalent over there as it is here. You see one of Heze leaders was watching F1 on TV and saw a red race car.

ferrari-f2007.jpg

He said, wistfully, "I want one of those". Alas the lackey next to him took it literally and wrote down "Get Scuderia Ferrari car for Asswan". His young lackey then texted "Scud Fer Ass" to his contact in Damascus and well. the rest is history.

M

MasterComposter

Mee_n_Mac":21toglae said:
His young lackey then texted "Scud Fer Ass" to his contact in Damascus and well. the rest is history.

It's all just a terrible mix-up...

M

MasterComposter

This kind of miss-texting is so common. Ahmedinnerjacket sent a text recently to declare it was Not OK for Tehran to release Helium Balloons, and it came out as "Nook Teh Heebs."

V

vladdrac

Pyrrhic Victory
Boris_Badenov":xqbrv1dv said:
vladdrac":xqbrv1dv said:
The Samson Option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts