Hottest Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucas_900

I can't remember where I read it, but the content of what I read stated that there was a finite coldness (0 kelvin) because the molecules stop vibrating completely. It also said that there was no hottest temperature - as in, in theory an object could always be hotter, however i'm thinking this was flawed - if nothing can move faster than the speed of light, surely molecules can not vibrate faster than that, meaning there must be a finite limit to temperature.<br />Is this accurate? Thanks.

W

why06

0 kelvin can not exist in this universe. It is only hypothetical for as soon as something stopped moving completely it would disappear. The hottest temperture now .... hmm.... that's tough to describe. <br />When you say movement do you mean movement or vibration - the energy level of the atom <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

L

lucas_900

Ah I see, OK, and i mean vibrate, surely if something vibrates it must have some kind of speed, which presumably can't beat the cosmic speed limit.

Y

yevaud

1.417 x 10^32 kelvin, known as the "Planck Temperature."<br /><br />Brief Description <br /><br />Also: the coldest temperature ever achieved:<br /><br />Brief Description <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

R

robnissen

Great question. Great answer. So if I understand, nothing can be hotter than the Planck temperature?

L

lucas_900

If it is the temperature associated with the big bang, it's the temperature at which all the energy was compacted into a super dense point, therefore to replicate that heat you would need all the energy in the universe at the same point at the same time at the same density, as near as I can read into it. As a result, if you could squeeze all tht energy into a tighter point, which may not be possible as this point could have been infinetely dense, then you would get a hotter temperature, of course, you're in that temperature at an inconceivably small size so it's not much use to you. <br /><br />Or I could be talking a load of rubbish, and should be ignored.

Y

yevaud

Hard to say, really, but it appears doubtful. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

why06

So basically it would take all the matter in the universe to energize an tom untill the the point in which it could not exist anymore. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Well, not exactly. At higher and higher temperatures, matter dissasociates to atoms, then to neutrons/protons/electrons, then to quarks, and onwards. At some point, grand unification temperatures are achieved, whereby all the 4 fundamental forces are indistinguishable from one another; all the same force, as it were. Matter no longer exists, only energy.<br /><br />The problem is, as was pointed out, to achieve those kind of temperatures that existed in the Big Bang, we would have to recreate the Big Bang. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

why06

Those kind of temps should still be at the heart of the universe as residual heat..you know how a body is warmest in the center where most of the energy is retained. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Y

yevaud

There is no "heart of the universe," per se. However, yes, the residual heat left over is the 2.7 K Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.