How big would a rover have to be to support the MPL arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

How big would a Martian rover have to be to support and run an arm as big as the one on Mars Phoenix Lander? Would we be able to get it onto the Martian surface safely? It seems a big waste to send something that is not mobile. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

Just off the cuff, I'd say the rover would have to be at least as big as MPL. It could be smaller if its designed with an arm in mind early on. Location of the arm being a factor in determining the rover size.<br /><br />It would be an excellent utilization of resource to mount an arm on a rover.<br /><br />One potential problem with mounting an arm on a rover. The rover moving around as it does, the arms gonna have to be more ruggedly designed than usual to accomodate jarring although the rovers don't move very fast but the terrain may be just rough enough to make for a rough ride for an arm. Probably not a showstopper though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

B

bobw

Your post got me wondering about putting the space station arm on a rover. I couldn't find the exact dimensions of the new Mars Science Laboratory but I heard it was going to be as big as a minivan. I don't know how wide cars are so I guessed 2 meters. LOL! You would need a tank to carry that thing around. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

The MERs have arms of course, already. The extreme length of Phoenix's arm is a part compenstation for its immobility. A rover does not need one that long.<br /><br />A Canadaarm look alike would be impossible on Mars because of the gravity.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

I was talking about putting MPL's arm onto a rover so that it can dig deep trenches at multiple sites. Sure, the MERs can dig a hole, but no where as deep as the one created by the MPL arm. As is, MPL will dig one hole and then shut down. A rover would start over at a new site a few miles away. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

Just how are you going to get your minivan to Mars? Having it reach LEO would be enough of a feat, but then to land it on Mars would be at the edge of what we can do today. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

J

JonClarke

Phoenix, like Viking, will dig lots of holes wihin reach of its arm.<br /><br />MPL died 10 years ago in ther south polar wastes.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

The minivan is called MSL. <br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

L

lbiderman

What is needed to make big trenches is a strong arm, not a very long one. Basicly, you need more power and strengh, that´s all

J

JonClarke

Phoenix's arm is strong enough to excavate the trenches it needs. It can go down to 50 cm. This is 5 times deeper than Viking.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

The new probe is MPL too. Mars Phoenix Lander.<br /><br />I still say a rover would let you investigate more sites than a fixed lander. Put that arm on it and you could dig deep holes in each location. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

Does the arm have a camera that could look at objects otherwise out of reach? The lander would see many objects in the trench at an oblique angle. Not the best for viewing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

L

lbiderman

Most probably it will have a microscopic imager, just like the one the MERs have. However, I just couldn't find it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.