How can I tell the Earth is moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fatal291

I'm not saying it is not but I would like a simple experiment if possible that I could do. Other than the obvious seasons and sun sets, plus the winds Its obvious that the Earth IS moving I would just like an example like how gravity has the apple falling, what can i do for Earth's movement?

Q

qso1

Watch the earths shadow cross the moon during a lunar eclipse. You know its earth because the eclipse will have been predicted just as the one a few days ago was. Of course, the moon moves as well but its a start. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Yes, but someone else already mentioned that so I went with the lunar eclipse. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

V

vogon13

It takes 6 months, but observing the parallax of the nearer stars would show that 'something funny is going on'.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

I can see I'll be hitting the library!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

tropicalzone

because the sun rises and sets ,also the constellations change over the year proving motion

C

chesh

Watching the constellations of stars move by every season and then return would pretty much tell anyone that the earth is moving a-round.<br /><br />Were the sun orbiting the earth, then the stars would not be moving except as the earth turns on its axis. Thus the full constellations would be seen every 24 hours. <br /><br />But on our earth the sun is in the way over half of the time and so those same constellations cannot be seen except seasonally. That argument was probably usable to argue that the earth did indeed orbit the sun.<br /><br />That it was missed by the ancients to refute Ptolemy, simply indicated that they had not throught the situation thru carefully enough, that is, they had a huge bias against thinking carefully enough. IE, the earth is the center of the universe and damm the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.