How can we deal with Lunar fines?

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bpfeifer

"However, I suspect this is all panic over nothing. Unless people rub their helmets in the dirt and don't take care in cleaning I can't see why hemets should not last for years. <br /><br />To my knowledge the some of simulated hemets of the Mars Society suits at the desert research station in Utah are still original. After 7 years of hard daily use in a desert environment with blowing sand and dust by more than 50 crews they are a bit scratched but usable. An they are only cheap plastic."<br /><br />The lunar dust is supposed to be far more abrasive than the stuff commonly found on Earth. I understand there was noticeable scratching on the Apollo equipment. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

J

JonClarke

Lunar dust is certainly more absrasive than what would be found in Utah. But then, at EVA suits probably won't experience the number of exposure hours the simulated suits have logged in Utah either and will be made out of much more scratch resistant materials.<br /><br />One more can I emphasise, lunar fines are not magic. They are predominantly made out of orginary silicates and oxides found on earth, with minor metallic particlesThey are much more angular than most terrestrial fine grains, but volcanic ash is an excellent analogue. <br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.