How cool are fireworks from space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fkawi1

I was just wondering if fireworks were really cool if you saw them from space? Can you see them from space? I guess I'm referring to the biggest ones like in New York or somewhere they have the best ones?<br />

V

vogon13

I have watched fireworks detonated over Omaha Nebraska from a hilltop roughly 40 miles away (200,000 feet).<br /><br />IMO, they would be visible from space, but keep in mind the angular size for the display is already pretty small at 40 miles, and would be tiny at 200 miles.<br /><br />Also, any sun illuminated portions of the earth's surface visible at the same time will cause enough contraction of the human pupil to prevent seeing the display. Most fireworks displays are conducted shortly after sunset so the terminator will always be close to the display, this is a big problem for space based viewing.<br /><br /><br />IIRC, Mercury astronaut Carpenter was able to see colored streetlights reflecting in the bay of Perth Australia back in the early 60s. This would indicate the feasilbilty of seeing fireworks from space, but they would need to be detonated well after sunset (like around local midnight).<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

F

fkawi1

Thanks. Yea I guess I wasn't thinking. Now maybe from airliners?

B

Boris_Badenov

I have seen fireworks from the air in Phx. Az. It is really impressive. We were only a couple thousand feet above ground level though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts