How did it all start??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeffdish

Call me silly, but I am stuck on one question that I can't quite my head around. How did the universe start? I know the accepted theory is the big bang, but I have a problem with that for one simple reason. No matter how small the universe started out in the beginning, it was still something that took up space......but.....if space was there already, then the universe was already there??!! anyone else understand what I mean?? please help me with this somebody, as I'm really stuck on this seems so simple chicken and the egg syndrome!! Thanks Rev. JeffD.

C

CommonMan

I have been thinking the same question. And not only did something have to be there, they say all the atoms and molecules that make up the whole universe came out of it when it exploded. Thats a lot of material, I have been trying to belive this and understand it but I'm having a hard time with it. All the stars and solar systems, all cramed in a spot that would fit on a pin head, now that tighter that a nats ass stretched over a 55 gal drum. My theory that the material had to come from somewhere else through the big when it happened. Of course I am not a scientist, but I dont think they know for sure either.

B

BoJangles2

The “how” it all began is up to you, there are no real definite answers in this respect, and at this stage boarder more on philosophy than science. You are indeed at the limit of science with this question. There are some clues about the processes that formed the observable universe, but not before, and definitely not what was around before.

Science deals with the falsifiable, and this just can’t be falsified. Are there multiverses, are we just a subverse? You just can’t say (at this stage).

Interesting question all the same.

S

sacr3

Well, God, Big bang, either way it all came from "somewhere" right?

Maybe this Universe isn't even real. Well, its as real as we perceive it, but aside from that this whole "Universe" could have become existant, pff, 1000 years ago. But was created with a History, so that we never actually realize how "Fake" it really is. And this is but a massive game, and what we control are just bodies so that we can interact with this world.

Maybe the Universe is infinant, never had a beginning but with our logic (which hasn't failed us all that much) it needs a beginning because everything we see has a beginning and an end. But what if this universe was always as is?

What if the universe is constant in a way that it expands from a ball, expands outwards, then slowly over billions of years, blackholes form, many, and this starts to create a lot of "suction" (can't think of a better word :p) and more blackholes form, and more, and eventually the Universe stops expanding and starts retracting back due to the suction of all these blackholes, and the blackholes themselves combine, create larger blackholes and eventually there is only one super massive blackhole that contains ALL the matter of the universe, then the Universe collapses upon itself and the POOF.. another "big bang" and the universe expands shooting all matter out.. and this process keeps repeating itself

Maybe the God theory is correct, everything was created 6000 years ago (or 7, not entirely sure anymore) but with a history, and we are but his sheep.. or however it goes.

Or the Urantia book is correct, where this is the first step amongst many others before we reach "god". The first step is a physical world with time, second step doesn't contain time, and you maintain your knowledge from the first, and so on and so forth.

Its fun to believe in these things, because there is no "real" answer so we use our Imaginations! Of course, some of these are ridiculous, but hey.

My belief, well... that doesn't matter :)

K

kelvinzero

Btw, I dont think the big bang theory is exactly attempting to explain how the universe started.

The big bang is more like the statement "Well everything we can see seems to be moving away from us right now, lets assume the laws of physics are universal and extrapolate backwards." This reasoning leads us to imagine an earlier universe that was much hotter and denser than the one we now see.

That in itself does not seem very strong evidence. But the point is we know a lot about how hot and dense matter behaves. We know this from playing with matches, from experimenting with plasma, from experimenting with fusion, from banging particles together at greater and greater energies. Each of these are examples of hot and compressed things to more extreme levels.

Our physics works pretty well to describe all of these things so why not look and see if the unverse shows evidence of behaving as it would have behaved if it kept following the same physics we are dealing with today?

Apparently if you do this you can make several predictions of what we should see when we look at very distant objects, and apparently the big bang theory holds up pretty well (but not perfectly. We have to throw something called inflation in there.)

My point is we can do all this physics, make all these predictions that turn out to be accurate, yet at no point has the big bang theory actually claimed to have an explanation for why the universe was once compressed down to the size of a proton or smaller, or what happened in the period before .

V

victora

jeffdish":144nh7og said:
Call me silly, but I am stuck on one question that I can't quite my head around. How did the universe start? I know the accepted theory is the big bang, but I have a problem with that for one simple reason. No matter how small the universe started out in the beginning, it was still something that took up space......but.....if space was there already, then the universe was already there??!! anyone else understand what I mean?? please help me with this somebody, as I'm really stuck on this seems so simple chicken and the egg syndrome!! Thanks Rev. JeffD.

A mistake.

everything is perfect.

1st post btw

A

ArcCentral

jeffdish":1k3w5kvh said:
Apparently the Big Bang Theory can't answer your question, thusly it is likely wrong. My suggestion would be, to not start from here and now, and then work your way backwards like the Big Bang proposes, but to start from a beginning to arrive to the here and now. Let logic be your guide. If you begin with nothing for instance, and then proceed to make this universe as it now stands, or accept that the universe has always been, by which you can let your imagination run wild, as any explanation will do, it's entirely up to you. I personally took the road that the universe had a beginning, and made a universe out of nothing and never looked back.
So to answer your question of how the universe started, I would have to say that it started with .. ONE, because that is what nothing is in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.