Question How do I get the most out of a beginner's scope?

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
I have an Orion Skyscanner 100mm, with a 10mm and 20mm eyepiece. It's not a terrible scope but appreciate that its dimensions are on the smaller side. How can I maximise, even improve, my use of the scope?

Many thanks,

nick

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I would love some advice on this topic too! I have a little telescope that I received as a gift years ago and frankly, I find it a little intimidating. Following this thread in hopes of some solid advice by those who have surmounted the "put off by how complex it looks" dilemma. :)

Reactions: nicholas_rubin
Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
I would love some advice on this topic too! I have a little telescope that I received as a gift years ago and frankly, I find it a little intimidating. Following this thread in hopes of some solid advice by those who have surmounted the "put off by how complex it looks" dilemma. :)

To start I found observing the moon was a good way to familiarise myself with the scope. It was also really rewarding being able to see it in such good detail.

I invested in a Barlow lens which doubles the power of my scope. It means that I have become more familiar I have been able to start to focus in on the planets though I may need more power to see more.

I am now thinking about how to upgrade my eye pieces and practice taking photos on my phone.

Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts on how to upgrade and get the most out of my scope.

Latest posts