How does gravity work on an atomic level?

• Thread starter abnormalitycomplex
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abnormalitycomplex

I understand that mass has a tendency to accelerate towards other mass. What I do not understand is what happens, on an atomic level, to create this.

D

doubletruncation

<font color="yellow">What I do not understand is what happens, on an atomic level, to create this.</font><br /><br />No one else really does either. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

Gravity does not really operate at that level. The Microscopic is quite different than the Macroscopic. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

A

abnormalitycomplex

If we knew how it worked we could negate it for anti-gravity.I wonder if elemental make-up, heat, or magnetism affects it. If one wants to stop something, one must first understand the original force. That's my logic.

S

search

How does gravity work?<br /><br />"Each particle of matter attracts every other particle with a force which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.<br />The standard formula for gravity is:<br /><br />Gravitational force = (G * m1 * m2) / (d2)<br />where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects for which you are calculating the force, and d is the distance between the centers of gravity of the two masses.<br /><br />G has the value of 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne * cm2/gm2. That means that if you put two 1-gram objects 1 centimeter apart from one another, they will attract each other with the force of 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne. A dyne is equal to about 0.001 gram weight, meaning that if you have a dyne of force available, it can lift 0.001 grams in Earth's gravitational field. So 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne is a miniscule force."<br /><br />So now you can imagine gravity effect between atoms or electrons (elements with mass) even more minuscule force will be. <br /><br /><br />How strong is the strong force?<br />"We can compare the strength of the gravitational force to the electromagnetic force on two electrons by taking the ratio between the two forces. The distance-squared cancels out and we are left with:<br /><br />F(gravity)/F(EM) = Gmm/Cee.<br /><br />I intentionally dropped the minus sign; I will simply remember that the gravitional force between the electrons is attractive and the electromagnetic force between the two electrons is replusive. Anyway, when I plug in the values for G, m, C, and e, the ratio is 2.4x10^(-43). In words that is pronounced two-point-four times ten to the minus forty-three. That is a very small number. In other words, the gravitational force between two electrons is feeble compared to the elec

N

nexium

If the artical is correct, we have really confused things over the past century. In the last sentence he seems to be describing electrostatic force but he calls it electromagnetic force which is a voltage = EMF<br />Since Earth atmosphere has captured more electrons than protons over the past 4 billion years should we assume Earth has a large negative charge? Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.