How long will it take to achieve the making of floating cars

How long do you think it will be until we can get floating cars?

• 20-50 yrs.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 51-100 yrs

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 100-500 yrs

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • more than 1000yrs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iamlegend697

How long will it take to achieve the making of foating cars? Will it take a few years, decades, centuries? I would like to hear your comments on this matter on "When will we create cars that repel against gravity/floating cars)

W

willpittenger

Well, that depends. If you are talking about true flying cars, well, they keep coming…and going. New ones have been proprosed and at least one, Moller, is undergoing testing. A practical car rarely makes a practical aircraft and vice-versa. Now if you mean cars that are more like those seen in Star Wars (Luke's speeder on Tatooine) or Minority Report, that is a totally different matter. So far, those are strictly Science Fiction and will probably remain that for a long time.

I

iamlegend697

willpittenger":id4dipri said:
Well, that depends. If you are talking about true flying cars, well, they keep coming…and going. New ones have been proprosed and at least one, Moller, is undergoing testing. A practical car rarely makes a practical aircraft and vice-versa. Now if you mean cars that are more like those seen in Star Wars (Luke's speeder on Tatooine) or Minority Report, that is a totally different matter. So far, those are strictly Science Fiction and will probably remain that for a long time.
im talkin about the true flying cars

W

willpittenger

Well, your title mentioned "floating," not "flying."

B

brandbll

We already have floating cars, they're called hovercrafts and they suck.

I'd much rather have them work on fully automated cars anyways so that it reduced traffic accidents...

C

cosmictraveler

A floating car that has been here for many years...

vintage_amphicar_in_water.jpg

Flying cars won't be here for many years to come, imagine the nightmare in trying to control them like we do with cars that travel on the ground! They could hit airplanes as well!! :eek:

D

docm

The MULE is being developed by Urban Aeronautics (UrbanAero) as unmanned air ambulance, but nothings stopping the tech from being used in manned applications like their X-Hawk.

Article link (''07)....

ductedflight.jpg

PANDA testbed video here....

UrbanAero latest update (June '09)....

IMG_10647%20copy.JPG

UrbanAero X-Hawk here....

clrplatformsmall.jpg

Whereas most designs for new, VTOL aircraft offer incremental improvements in the state of the art, the X-Hawk flying platform presents a revolutionary advance in both the mobility and utility of VTOL aircraft. Simply put, nothing like it has ever hit the market before.
>

C

CommonMan

MeteorWayne":3oxytxg4 said:
brandbll":3oxytxg4 said:

Actually, they blow ;) :)

Ha Ha ha! Who said Metor_Wayne don't have a sense of humor! Wasn't you, was it Jim?

A

a_lost_packet_

iamlegend697":20l9jn64 said:
How long will it take to achieve the making of foating cars? Will it take a few years, decades, centuries? I would like to hear your comments on this matter on "When will we create cars that repel against gravity/floating cars)

First of all, I don't think we'll see any cars that "repel against gravity" anytime soon. Think about it for a second. What happens when you generate some sort of field or effect which nullifies or even repels the effect of gravity on mass? Zip, zoom, bammo... you're gone, hurled off the earth at a pretty good clip at whatever acceleration you were last experiencing. Grats you. You'll be the first one to visit Asteroid GBC-454827 (or whatever happens to be in the way) as your remains, which are probably already splattered all over the inside of your vehicle's cabin, impact the surface. You may even get to survive to see the surface up close if the field encompasses you as well. Real close. Of course, a really good engineer would only nullify part of the effects of gravity as long as someone bothered to write it in the design specifications. But, you know kids and their cars. Some hotshot punk would figure out how to hotwire it to boost performance and everyone's insurance rates would go up again. ;)

I suppose it's possible to have some sort of effect that might "float" a car that isn't truly lighter than air. I'm sure the power consumption would be pretty big unless we found some sort of naturally occurring unobtainium that fit the bill. MPG would suck but it would be fun while the tank was full.

I think we're going to be relying on air transport that uses simple mechanics for maintaining flight potential for a good while yet. So, I think we're looking at several hundred years before we'll see "future cars" used for public transport that work on, as yet, unknown principles.

But, I could be wrong...
jetsons-car.jpg

I'd hate to see what traffic would look like during rush hour in a world full of gravity defying conveyances..

W

willpittenger

a_lost_packet_":2mfximud said:
I'm sure the power consumption would be pretty big unless we found some sort of naturally occurring unobtainium that fit the bill. MPG would suck but it would be fun while the tank was full.
Just one term needed there: Zero Point Energy.

G

greddytalon

We'll have flying cars when pigs fly!
Wait a minute, swine flu?

:lol:

W

willpittenger

greddytalon":1e3yl7u7 said:
We'll have flying cars when pigs fly!
Careful there. All you need to make piglets fly is a small catapult.

J

junkheap

MeteorWayne":7e11b208 said:
brandbll":7e11b208 said:

Actually, they blow ;) :)

Actually, they suck from the top and blow out the bottom. So hovercrafts suck and blow at the same time. ;) :)

S

Sonjiin

They made one back in the 1980s. Its beautiful.

The first Generation power source was messy. It used Plutonium.

The second Generation used Garbage as the fuel source. I think it was called Mr. Fusion.

delorean1.jpg

But in all seriousness. I think in the next 20 years or so i could see this happening. Not on a large scale and that is due to the safety issues at hand. Like what happens if lightning hit it. What happens during a mid air crash. How would the "Sky Roads" work.

So many things to consider. Its cheaper and better to just make better more fuel efficient land cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts