How many of you are a member of a space advocacy group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BReif

Out of curiosity, how many of you are a member of a space advocacy group? And if you are a member, which one(s) and why?<br /><br />I am a member of the National Space Society and have been since 1991, because I share their vision for the future of human spaceflight, and the creation of a spacefaring civilization. I have been a member of the Planetary Society off and on, though I am not current at this time, again because of the excitement of unmanned exploration, and its paving the way for humans. I prefer NSS since it is geared toward human space exploration as top priority.

L

ldyaidan

I'm a member of the NSS. I would like to join others, as finances permit, but can only indulge in one at this point. I've chosen NSS for much the same reason you did. It seems to be the most inclusive group.<br /><br />Rae

R

rybanis

I guess I should be (I believe in it enough, thats for sure). Mars Society...perhaps. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

5stone10

Anybody that's a member at SDC is.<br /><br />Do you mean - how many are members of an actual Space lobbying organization?

J

j05h

<i>> Anybody that's a member at SDC is.<br />Do you mean - how many are members of an actual Space lobbying organization?</i><br /><br />That's a great point about online groups. <br /><br />I've been a member of the Planetary Society off and on since the mid 80s and consistently since '92. I might have been an NSS member at one point, and have attended their Boston/MIT meetings. I've been to a bunch of conferences, but my main form of advocacy is online: sci.space.policy since 1994, SDC, Slashdot (not just space) and some other sites. <br /><br />My main reason for not being part of more official groups is cash flow. On top of that, the politics of several of them is suspect. Example: NSS often sounds like a defense-industry lobbyist - most of their advocacy seems to be "give NASA more money". Planetary Soc has a patina of anti-humans-in-space, we had it out over this at ISDC06, they aren't against it, but largely want govt. money to go to science and research. I really like SFF, but am not a member due to $$$.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

J

JonClarke

VP Mars Society Australia<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shadowsound

Member of the NSS North Texas Along with our VP up above.<br />Loved space since a boy. Science Fiction books, Astronomy and anything else science I could lay my hands on to read dealing with it, or science in general. <br /><br />I dealt with the maintenance, ground operations equipment, and performed as a satellite operations controller in one form or another for twenty two years. <br />I've flown Telestar, Echostar, and Sirious satellites As well as commanded a large number of elliptically orbiting satellites using ephemeris data. <br /><br />Unless I win the lottery, that was as close as I will be to going into space unless we get our A%^&S in gear and get commercial space up and profitable. <br /><br />Oh since our VP didn't mention it, because he is a nice and very polite person, I will because I know there are times to be rude and to the point.<br /><br />WE are hosting the Internationla Space Development Conference ISDC 2007 Conference in Dallas Texas. If you are considering attending the conference please do so now. Check out the <br /><br />http://isdc.nss.org/2007/<br /><br />The Mars Society will be there as well.<br /><br />OK Commercial off.<br /><br />Yes I want us in space any way we can and will use any resource that's idiot enough to place itself in my hands to get us there.<br /><br />I'm not biased against the ISS. I want to use it because it is there and a stepping stone to putting up everything else we need.<br /><br /><br /><br />

C

cuddlyrocket

I'm a member of the British Interplanetary Society, because I'm interested in space, and British.

H

halman

breif,<br /><br />Because I seem to have an aversion to money, I have not joined any of the space advocacy groups, until just the month, when I fell prey to a mailing from the Planetary Society. I have considered myself to be a space advocate nonetheless, because I have produced a steady stream of letters to Congress members and several presidents. I also talk about space with people in my daily life often, and try to raise awareness in the general public whenever possible of all things off planet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> The secret to peace of mind is a short attention span. </div>

B

bpfeifer

I'm in the process of starting an Upstate NY chapter of the Mars Society. I like the mixture of public outreach, hardware development, and lobbying found in the Mars Society. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

I am!!<br /><br />The Planetary Society.<br /><br />http://www.planetary.org/<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

L

lbiderman

I'm President of the Mars Society Argentina Chapter. Yes! Down here we try to expand the interest in space and Mars too. Check it out (in spanish, sorry for that :p) www.marssociety.com.ar

B

BReif

If only there were an NSS chapter in or near (less than 60 miles distant) Cincinnati. Oh well...<br /><br />I was a member of the Moon Society and the Mars Society at one point as well, but I let those memberships lapse. I have met Robert Zubrin. Sat next to him on a flight from Edmonton to Yellow Knife. He was on his first trip to Devon Island. Interesting guy, knows his stuff, and autographed my copy of "The Case for Mars" which I was reading on the plane. Unbelievable coincidence that he was sitting next to me.

H

holmec

Been a member of Planetary Society. Will be again as soon as I have enough mo. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

L

ldyaidan

That's really cool. (Meeting Zubrin while reading his book) Have you thought about starting a local chapter?<br /><br />Rae

B

BReif

I have, but I can't seem to get much information about how to do it. Several years ago, there was a local chapter, but now the closest is Cleveland, which is a 5 hour drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts