How risky is Curbeam's 4th spacewalk of the flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I see that Curbeam will make a record 4th spacewalk. How much risk is involved? My main concern would be fatigue. From what I read in Cernan's book, spacewalking can be exhausting. After three walks already in this flight, is he going to recover for a 4th after just one day off?<br /><br />I know I recently said that we need one vetern spacewalk in each excursion, but the others all now have a spacewalk under their belt. To me, Curbeam's main advantage over them would be any previous unplanned spacewalks that he has completed. (Does he any any such walks?) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

S

spacester

Without knowing any of the technical stuff, I don't know. <br /><br />But I try to always watch the Astronaut's interviews, where they talk about their upcoming mission. They are very interesting people and I sometimes learn things just from watching them get thru their interviews.<br /><br />So I'm used to being impressed, but Curbeam really jumps off the screen for me as guy who could handle anything you throw at him. The last time I had that kind of reaction to a guy was with Storey Musgrave. <br /><br />Both of them I'd seen before on previous missions, they had registered but not made a strong impression. Then when seeing them later, after earning their seniority, they very much strike me a natural leaders of the first order. Just extremely capable humans.<br /><br />So I don't know nuthin but my guess is that you couldn't make a better choice than Robert Curbeam. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

A space walk every other day is OK, I think, from interviews I have read.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

Will, is there some reason you need to make a new thread for every question you have?<br />This one especially belongs in "ISS 12A.1/ STS-116 Orbital Ops and EVAs". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

Q

qso1

Cernans walk in space on Gemini 9-A was exhausting mainly because tools and techniques had not yet been developed for making space walks less fatiguing. The final Gemini mission with Buzz Aldrin as the prime developer of EVA tools and techniques made EVA a lot less exhausting.<br /><br />I would also imagine being cramped in the Gemini capsule didn't help much when it came to EVAs on Gemini missions. The shuttle and ISS are much better platforms for conducting EVAs from.<br /><br />Having said all that, I'm sure Curbeam is probably a little tired but okay for EVA and I would hope if anyone at NASA had doubts or if Curbeam himself didn't feel up to the task, they'd scrub it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

E

erioladastra

<br />There is some risk. The day off in between is to help with fatigue but that is really not enough time. The biggest issue is with the hands. it is not uncommon for hands to be nearely useless after a few walks if not down right bloody. Beamer is a big, durable teddy bear. If anyone can do it he can but it is not a desireable position. You can't just grab someone else off the crew because the suits may not be sized ot them and they may not have any current training. He is the most experienced so it makes sense. Hopefully it will be a short EVA.

R

rfoshaug

It also seems that Curbeam is extremely strong physically. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff9900">----------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#ff9900">My minds have many opinions</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

And seems to be very comfortable at the moment.<br /><br />I like the comparison to Musgrave. It seems apt. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

I also have a scientific background. Blame my computer science carreer. In college, and shortly afterwards, I actually wrote some papers. You learn not to bury your topic. You also learn to summarize in a hurry. Many scientests have little time for reading papers. So they read only the summary until they decide they are interested. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Cernans walk in space on Gemini 9-A<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Actually, I was talking about his experience with his Moonsuit. At least then he knew what to expect before he even got the mission. (He had even agreed to take Gemini 12, rather than Aldrin, so he could reattempt that stupid maneuvering system. That was the main disaster of Gemini 9-A to me. The least they could have done was put a light and radio antenna back there for him. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

One thing that might help somewhat is if they have two of the platforms the astronauts stand on while connected to the arms. However, I don't know if Discovery's arm can reach there or not. I figure Shuttle Guy would know. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.