How SpaceX built a new spacesuit for Polaris Dawn's private spacewalk (video)

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Amazing -- SpaceX sees a technology they need and invents and commercializes it. I thought there was a bid out for like a billion dollars from NASA to develop a new space suit.

My bet is that the FDA or EPA or FAA will find some reason why these suits cannot become the industry standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
SpaceX has given us a detailed look at their stylish and innovative new extravehicular activity suit ahead of it being worn during the Polaris Dawn mission's first-ever private spacewalk.

How SpaceX built a new spacesuit for Polaris Dawn's private spacewalk (video) : Read more

So apparently these new suits are now demonstrated and tested for exposure to space of the upper body for about 10 minutes. This is a start.

I wish they would talk about what prevented more extensive use. The original plan was to fully exit the spacecraft and a longer duration. I wonder if it was thermal or mobility limits? Or perhaps the astronauts were not able to train for a longer EVA?

Historically the first EVA was done by the Soviets and the problem was getting the guy back inside. The suit ballooned up and restricted mobility. Perhaps the memory of this caused them to be so cautious?

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
Perhaps there is a reason they went so high to do the EVA in those suits. Current LEO is littered with high energy space junk. A simple fleck of paint traveling 12,000 mph struck and cracked a Space Shuttle windshield once. (NASA thickened it after). So how much kinetic energy can those suits handle? Some have asked why the EVA was "partial" and not full, there were commentary that the open nose cap was used as a sort of shield to protect the walkers from micrometeoroids and space junk as they orbited.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of tolerance those new suits have in this regard.

TRENDING THREADS