How to See Friday Night's Geminid Meteor Shower, Despite the Moonshine

Can I see it from Houston

If this is Houston Texas - yes. The Geminid meteor radiant is already well up at Houston. Altitude 30 degrees and azimuth near 67 degrees or ENE sky. The Geminid meteor radiant transits at Houston near 0220 local time. If you have clear skies, you could catch some Geminids tonight and early tomorrow morning. I find meteor shower observations best around 0100-0500 local time, before sunrise.

For those following this article on the Geminids, Rod did see at least 5 late Friday night! Here is a note on my observations. I was out from 2100-2330 EST observing. Waning gibbous Moon in Cancer this evening. I went out with my 10×50 binoculars and tried to observe some Geminids tonight and binocular views of the Moon, and M42 in Orion. I did enjoy some views of the Moon and M42 using the binoculars. The Geminids radiant was up. Lovely evening with altocumulus clouds illuminated by waning gibbous moonlight. Orion visible, Sirius, the Pleiades in Taurus, Capella in Auriga, Cassiopeia. There were large breaks in the clouds. I did observe two Geminids flash by moving towards Cassiopeia, away from the radiant. They were both about as bright as Capella in Auriga. Starry Night reports the Geminids travel about 35 km/s, so does Stellarium 0.19.2. My flip cell phone time check showed 2140 EST and 2142 EST. Later near 2305 EST, I observed a bright meteor flash by Orion heading south. The meteor disappeared behind altocumulus clouds in the south sky but I estimate it was about as bright as Sirius in Canis Major. The altocumulus clouds and cirrus clouds – more moved in so I decided to end the observation run for Geminids this evening near 2330 EST. There were two fainter Geminids I saw move through Auriga but they were fainter, near mv +4.0 or fainter. The waning gibbous Moon with altocumulus clouds and cirrus – caused problems viewing tonight but the moonlight on the clouds provided an ethereal sky. Temperature not bad tonight, 5C while viewing.

Oops, that is observing late Saturday on the 14th of December. The peak was expected early on the 14th after midnight. I viewed on the 14th from 9:00 PM until 11:30 PM EST and was able to view some Geminids :).

Latest posts